Church or Jail: Alabama Judge Sentencing Options

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Sep 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Interesting approach.

I have been in some churches that were about as cold as a prison.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

How can you not, removing any personal bias from your belief system, not "see an issue with it?" It's a judge blatantly endorsing a particular belief system, and punishing those who do not capitulate to it.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

does the judge say what time of church and religion, that they must attend

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ironic that you used the word "penance."

Implying that "loving Jesus" or being "right with the Lord" wipes what you owe the law clean is an obvious violation of the separation of Church and State. One is using a red herring to imply not being in favor of this is the same as not being in favor of alternative sentencing. I think alternative sentencing is great. This is is unconstitutional alternative sentencing, though.

I am 100% sure I would
    1) not mock people's innermost beliefs in their own place of worship
    2) accept 52 days of 1-2 hour services in lieu of paying 80 bucks
    3) not understand your last statement if I read it 100 times
    4) not be happy with attendance of my chosen house of worship being equated as punishment

Going to Church shouldn't be a punishment if you are a believer. It shouldn't be a punishment option of the State. How can attending a worship service be justified as "punishment served" as you said, unless the state/law is connected to the Church?

Explain to me how, as a public citizen in a municipality, I am being served by my neighbor who has been committing some non-violent but financially detrimental crime getting sent to church, free to roll the dice and try to get away with another scheme?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seriously, either the folks who are cool with this need to move to Iran, or I need to prepare for the mob to try and burn me at the stake in a few more years.

7. Beechervol

Good question.

If he is leaving it up to them to decide on going to church or going to jail, you'd think they would get to pick catholic, baptist, mormon, islam...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

9. Beechervol

Would that be an option after a DUI?

10. fl0at_

I think teaching responsibility and the morals of consumption, and how beer can make one a better person would be highly effective for those with DUIs.

11. fl0at_

Mandatory AA meetings have long been common requirements passed down by courts, and the 12-step program is ripe with religious invocations. At the same time, some people have successfully sued to stop having to go, because of the religious underpinnings.

I think given the option, most people are going to choose to attend church of some kind. I'd rather see the option to go to jail or do public works in lieu of time served. If you want to go to church, you can go on your free time, not the State's time.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd rather go to jail for 24 hours.

13. Beechervol

Dang.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

24 hours vs 100 hours. not too much to think about there.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like something I'd do to IP just to bust his balls.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a sitcom idea.