Clay Travis' Particular Brand of Irony

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Heard a snippet of him on SportsTalk yesterday, discussing Matthew Stafford's girlfriend, and how one team's rep asked him if she would join them for dinner, if invited. He then proceeded to say that there were likely a lot of "30 year old guys" in the listening audience who were nodding their head (in agreeing with the suggestion of also inviting her) at his re-telling of the story, and closed with some remark about their lack of "maturity".

First, is this not the same schlep who stood up in a packed room at SEC Media Days and asked Tebow if he was a virgin?

Second, if there is anything worse than listening to Sportstalk, it's listening to them plug another member of the "media" and trying to pass it off as anything worthy of discussion. If I wanted to hear what Clay Travis thought, and I grew bored with the failed attempts at self-asphyxiation, I'd listen to him.

Just heard that brief piece and wondered when Travis became such an upright member of the media.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm lost. What is immature or inappropriate about asking if Stafford's GF would like to join them for dinner? Wouldn't it be possibly rude not to?

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He is a piece of shit.

4. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

He's amazing.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You must share his affinity of handsome men.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He straight up told Chris Vernon that he put up pics of Stafford and Bortles' girlfriends hanging out in bikinis on a cruise, solely because he knew that would drive clicks. He has absolutely no care about "journalism," he's a sensationalist.

He's trying to be the Cowherd of Nashville.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Or Finebaum.

Travis used to be, while mostly mindless, at least entertaining. Now it's to the point he brings nothing to the table that hasn't already been done.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

He's smarter than Cowherd, but you are right, and it makes 3HL an awesome show to listen to.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I've not been able to make it through more than 15 minutes. I've found the bit of saying shit just to get the dumb rednecks to call in so you can make fun of them to be old.

11. Tenacious D

It was in the vein of this look-at-this-dullard-of-a-NFL-guy failing to realize how inappropriate it was for him to ask Stafford about his girlfriend coming with them to dinner, or how irrelevant it was to the setting (being interviewed at the NFL combine). Then he took at shot at this market (which he was speaking to and of), when he said that he knew that there were "30 year olds who were nodding (in agreement)" at the idea of this question being asked of him. Basically, the guy asking the question was too stupid to know how inappropriate it was, and likely, so were many of the listeners to that program. This is from memory, but it is to the best of my recollection.

I didn't even mention the fact that the main objective of the combine interview is to get a genuine idea of both the person and the player, if only a small and fleeting glimpse, and that this often requires quickly cutting through so many layers of canned and largely bullshit answers that their agent / prep team have drilled into them for three months. And the best way to get them off script is to hit them with unexpected questions, particularly on topics of a personal nature, so as to elicit a more accurate, and possibly telling, response.

Then again, it could have just been some guy asking a random, unimportant, and arguably stupid or meaningless question.

It was the irony of Travis calling someone else's "maturity" or "appropriateness" into question, when his own personal and best claim to fame is that he was the asshat who stood up at SEC Media Days and asked Tebow if he was a virgin.

It'd be like Saban calling in and chiding Tennessee fans about rampant cheating or eating live babies.

Or, NYY calling in to rail against male prostitutes who seek to serve a singular niche of providing sexual favors to truckers, vagabonds and anyone else who may be daring enough to try the "in" side of a hole in the stall of some random bathroom.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He can't take what he dishes out either. That's what pisses me off.

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Yesterday a caller let him in on a show in Alabama giving out his address and birthday. Apparently, some show in Alabama was encouraging callers to send Clay an unpleasant birthday card. Speaking of irony, he got pissed off that someone would give his address out but how is that any different when he post some poor bastard's facebook picture on his site in order to make fun of said person?

14. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Because it's not their address? It's an embarrassing twitter picture?

And Clay usually only embarrasses people when they try to verbally assault him after he makes some comment about their favorite team sucking. Then they proceed to call him "a gay ******" and use the wrong version of you're/your, tell him to go die, etc. Those are the people he makes fun of 99% of the time they have it coming. The other 1% of the time it's him posting photos of Bama/UK/Arky fans that everyone is posting and making fun of like the pregnant Bammer couple in houndstooth.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll give him credit for the prego bammer couple write up. It wasn't as good as it could have been, but I got a lot of mileage out of that at work.

16. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Pointing out the "your gay" stuff is so overplayed by him. Justin Groves said it best, he can dish it out but can't take it when someone gives it back to him.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Another cringe worthy moment from him was when he kissed Dooley's ass on his show when he'd been ripping him a new one every day for 6 months.

18. Tenacious D

No one here has ever blocked him on Twitter - and yet he's banned several of our guys.

He's an over-grown frat boy who possesses such ingenuity and mental acuity as to turn a Vandy Law degree into a shitty radio show and living his own meme.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, I think his "not appropriate to ask if GF is joining them" angle is baseless and moronic. Which fits in perfectly with his schtick.

20. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I would say his total income is a lot higher at this point than it would be if he were putting his law degree to use.