Clay Travis' Particular Brand of Irony

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Mar 12, 2014.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

First, that's not irony; it's hypocrisy.

Second, that isn't journalism; it's showmanship.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You say this as if it is an insult. I think, to him, it is a compliment, or maybe better said, a summary..

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't know which is the more damning indictment, Bass. That he paid for a Vandy law degree in order to run a radio show, or that he may actually make more money hosting said show, instead of practicing law.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He didn't get on Dooley until the last 2 weeks of his employment.

5. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I don't think the radio show is what pays the bills - I would say his website, new Fox deal and book sales are significantly higher if I had to guess. And honestly that stuff sounds a lot more fun to me than practicing law. Although, I won't be surprised if he's shot or stabbed by a crazy Bammer or Arkansas fan one day in the future.. so he runs that risk.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

What makes you say this? He seems to go blow for blow against legitimate "sports reporters" too - he and that SI guy went at it on twitter.

7. Tenacious D

If Paul Feinbaum - the epitome of a regional sports hack / disc jockey - makes more money than a Vandy educated lawyer, then he's a fool. And if you fail to realize that you want to host a radio show before you paid for a Vandy Law degree, then forgive me for thinking that you're much better than that.

8. Tenacious D

You'd think someone of such mettle could handle any number of our regular posters.

Apparently he couldn't, and blocked them when he was getting e-housed - I know for certain that he blocked Card, and some others.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Clay Travis is smarter than Cowherd? Like book smart? Because Clay doesn't strike me as particularly quick on his feet, and Cowherd is most certainly that.

10. kidbourbon

During conference realignment-palooza, he was writng loads of articles on the subject, and, in particular, he devoted several to likelihood of there being a legitimate antitrust claim. He was clearly trying to pass off his articles as something resembling sound legal analysis on the topic, and his readers aren't smart enough to know whether he's writing something accurate or he's completely full of shit. Well he was completely full of shit. And there were like five articles where I just ripped his arguments apart in the comments. Not only was I trying to bait him into responding, but I was expressly asking him to either respond or to post a response article that I would have written. Him completely ignoring both my beatdowns of his charlatan antitrust analysis and his unwillingness to take the free web traffic that I was offering to give him, allowed me arrive at the conclusion that he's a smug ******* at the very core. I don't go to his site anymore. Haven't in years.

11. kidbourbon

That depends.

12. kidbourbon

He also went to GW undergrad, which has the highest tuition in the country (it's all trust fund babies). Maybe he got a scholarship. I have no clue. But going to GW undergrad without either (a) a full ride, or (b) a trust fund or the practical equivalnet thereof via absurdly loaded parents, is not something that any reasonable human being would ever consider doing.

And lest anybody be confused, I went to the law school at GW, which is academically the strongest arm of that entire university, and by a comfortable margin, and which reasonable people lacking scholarships and trust funds do attend.

ETA: I was lacking in both departments.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

what type of law do you practice, kid?

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sexual Harassment Victims

15. Tenacious D

Fyp

16. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

17. kidbourbon

Totes. I'm a harassment planner. I lay out all the strategies.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

A visualization of your strategy laid out:
    [​IMG]

19. kidbourbon

That's merely one element of the flowchart.

20. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

[​IMG]