Clowney

Discussion in 'Sports' started by justingroves, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

6'6 guys with huge wingspans aren't supposed to BP well. I really don't see how his BP can be used against him when you factor that in.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's a good point.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Don't disagree. Just saying he's gifted and because if that he's picked up lazy habits.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

It's funny how half this board sees him as Bruce Smith while the other half sees Aundrey Bruce.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Tiny's arms are longer and he got 36 reps.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tiny's also got what 60 pounds on him?

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he's a Jevon Kearse. Comes on, blows the doors off tackles and then gets banged up and stays hurt the last half of his career.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Look at Tiny's shoulders and chest, he's built to BP.

9. InVolNerable

Jace Amaro is the same size and got 28 reps.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's a better comparison than Tiny

11. InVolNerable

Tiny was just the first one that came to mind for the arm length argument.

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

this. Jared Allen did something like 18 reps ... he's a ****ing beast a DE. Don't care about the BP.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There are bascially two ways to play Dline, is there not? Push the Olineman back into the pocket or just run around them.

If I can be convinced that Clowney is not going to be another Haynesworth and quit on me, I would take him in 2 seconds. Doubt any team can afford to triple team him in the NFL.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That's the thing. Who are they going to take that will be any better or have the upside?

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no, those aren't the only ways to play line. At some point, teams are going to run straight at him. He's going to have to defend the run a little bit. The colts had the same problems with Mathis and Freeney.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Fair enough, I was mostly thinking pass rush and not shedding blocks to tackle RBs.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

What you've said is so spot on it's not even funny. What's surprising nowadays is how many kids make it to big time college football based solely on their ability to rush the passer all the while being useless as a defender when being trapped, kicked, or lead blocked.

18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I would never argue the point you are making because it's true ... however, I would argue that dominant defensive lineman of Clowney's caliber never had to be coached how to shed a trap block in HS, and it didn't matter if they were taking on a lead block because they were biggest most athletic guy on the field. HS coaches have it easy with guys like that. They certainly should be teaching them fundamental technique but why bother with making Clowney better when I've got 3 O lineman that can't grasp the concept of zone blocking. Squeaky wheel and all. The coaches get lazy too.

19. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

SB Nation superimposed his 40 with Deanthony Thomas's. Ridiculous.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Well then watch out during contract years.