College Basketball FBI Investigation

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Sep 27, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Probably going to need it's own thread.

It's not like any of this shocks anyone. It's mainly just that we can finally see how it works.

I'm guessing Adidas and Nike execs didn't sleep much last night.

Betting more than a few coaches didn't either.

Also, can you FOIA the FBI? I want to listen to the calls made to the tips line they set up.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I seriously doubt it.

3. NorrisAlan

I say we just get rid of the whole stupid amateur thing in all sports. It is an archaic model from 120 years ago.

4. Calculon

Calculon Member

I’d be for at least adapting it to modern realities. These are billion dollar programs with athletes who sometimes can’t afford tacos or gas. It’s a situation begging for an organized criminal element to step in.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m personally shocked a Bruce Pearl crony would be implicated in an FBI investigation.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If you get rid of the amateur thing, it will quickly become apparent that it has no business on campus.

7. NorrisAlan

Why? It can still be non-profit. Don't tell me colleges are not making money.

8. CardinalVol

I hope when all is said and done Cal comes away squeaky clean and Shuchefskee ends up in prison for the rest of his life.

9. CardinalVol

Good luck keeping the NCAA non-profit status if the players are making millions.

Follow Olympic model, allow endorsement deals, etc.

10. NorrisAlan

I doubt the players will be making millions off of the colleges. They simply cannot pay that much.

Let them become open to endorsements and let them get a job at a car dealership making $100 an hour to wash cars. I don't care anymore.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Endorsements with profit sharing.

12. cotton

Of course they can. If this is a paid gig, pay them what they are worth. They are worth what they produce. They are producing hundreds of millions of dollars for the schools.

13. NorrisAlan

How much money did the UT AD bring in last year? 120 million?

85 football players, coaches, staff. That isn't a lot of money to be spreading around, and then support the other sports as well.

And only a handful of schools actually make that much money on football or basketball. The rest of it is a wash.

What would happen is that about 20 schools would break away and form a super league, an NFL lite. There is no easy answer, and I wish we could go back to the Old Days, honestly, but that path has long since been lost.

Then look at the NFL: the Cowboys made $270 million in PROFIT in 2014 according to one article I read. They can afford to pay their 50 players millions.

14. cotton

Coaches and staff are paid already. Many of those 85 football players are worth jack shit. Several are worth a whole bunch.

I simply think that, at some point, people are going to wake up and wonder why the University of Tennessee is running a professional sports team. Amateurism, although flawed, imperfect, and exploitive, allows me and you and everybody else to temporarily ignore the question.

15. NorrisAlan

And leads to what we have with AAU and all these other shady things. Time to stop being blissfully ignorant, imho.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pitino telling his staff he expects to lose his job, per ESPN.

17. CardinalVol

I'm thinking Jurich and everyone is gone.

18. NorrisAlan

I have no idea how he survived the hooker/stripper thing.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He went to the Bill Clinton school of denial.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

All of their investigative files are confidential and not subject to public records requests.