COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yes. So since those 30 were supposed to be milder cases I don’t think the azithromycin would have changed the outcome.

It acts on the bacterial ribosome and prevents protein synthesis. Unless there is some crazy bizarre interaction with the other drug that messes with viral RNA, too, but that seems pretty unlikely.

IP likes this.
  2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is kind of a [penis].

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

it was spaghetti against the wall, and won't be the last

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Is anyone really being treated with anything if they are not hospitalized? Outside test type cases like this.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Still wouldn’t entirely dismiss it. There may be some reason it didn’t work as well there.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I heard a professor saying China is hiding a lot of new cases through out the providences and this might be a tipping point on the people putting up with CCP.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I made most of that up, but I’m pretty sure it’s got something to do with science.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Was just thinking exactly this.

Like minds, I guess.

TennTradition and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Anything new today that qualifies as major?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Some Stanford doc says he thinks the death rate may be way lower than we think but that there are a zillion more cases than we realize. People are now claiming this whole thing was an overreaction because they are idiots.

13. CardinalVol

So same ol stuff then?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

this seems to be a popular sentiment. Clay Travis has been banging this drum for awhile.

meanwhile, the number of positives and deaths continue to grow at an increasing rate.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Here’s my rough thoughts.

Based on data I think a infected fatality rate of around 0.8% for general population is likely.

We are seeing numbers of 1.3-1.5% fatality rate because:
    1) The actual number of cases is higher than we are recording which inflated death rate
    2) We are comparing deaths now to total infections but with a long incubation and rapid expansion of cases it makes the death rate look lower than it is.

So one of these boosts the number we measure for the other lowers it.

Doing the math, the measured fatality rate of 1.3-1.5% would be consistent with a virus that has a fatality rate of 0.8%, is doubling every three days, and where only about 10% of infected people are being recorded.

2Maggitt2Quit and IP like this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I agree with the idea of many more cases, but also since its been a new virus im fine with the reaction. Just get busier to find a vaccine and treatment. The best scientists and computers in the world should be able to figure it out.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

So Easter then?

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That is much more tied to whether our quarantine measures flatten the curve and also a function of HOW we go back. Just going back business as usual will be a mistake.

19. CardinalVol

So I'm trying to talk the partners at work into taking out big loans in this program, giving us all huge bonuses, and then keeping everyone and getting the loans forgiven.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The Goldman-Sachs Method of Accounting?

IP likes this.