COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's made its way to my part of Florida and you know we have a ton of elderly here.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Stay safe.

As soon as my wife hears about this, she will be ready to cancel our vacation to Anna Maria.

Also, my mother-in-law just returned from a trip to the Tampa/Bradenton/Anna Maria area. I'm assuming this would be a justifiable reason to "deal with her"?

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Follow-up, I was around my mother-in-law yesterday. Shit.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

there is more public unrest now than before, and broadly instead of just in Hong Kong. this has damaged their reputation with citizens in a way it never before has due to it occurring in the era of social media.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

About 2% death rate seems to be holding true for Italy.

I wish there was some way to check like the first 100, 500, etc as far as dead, recovered, hospitalized, still ill, etc. I think that's going to tell you what we can expect.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Dibs on your stuff.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw it broken down by age, and it was 0.2 for people under 50. very high for people over 80

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yoiks. Poor fella.

Seriously, though, I'm concerned about spread here among the elderly. Hopefully these cases remain isolated. I'll be honest, my husband is traveling (domestic) the next few weeks and I'm worried. Planes are massive petri dishes.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Man, if this thing is in Japan, that is going to be brutal for them.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Okay.

I need funds to pay for water damage in your new basement and upcoming waterproofing of your new basement.

TIA

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sounding like the most up to date expectations are: Most will end up with milder flu-like symptoms. 5% or so need hospitalization. 2% don't make it.

12. CardinalVol

Sorry, you are still alive, you must pay for it. Becomes mine when you die.

13. CardinalVol

That 2% rate holding strong is worrisome. I was hoping it would start to drop once non-China started factoring in.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's awful but seems kind of normal for a lot of health issues

Volst53 likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think most cases will go unreported so it’s not a true 2%.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

A couple of possibly (likely?) stupid questions:

1. Is it likely that there are a lot of young people that are walking around that would test positive, but haven't been tested or treated because the symptoms seem to be fairly mild in healthy young adults?

2. Is random healthy young adult catches the virus, has minor symptoms that subside and they do not receive treatment, do we know what would happen? Would the virus essentially "run its course" and go away or would the be infected until treatment? Would symptoms eventually worsen if they do not receive treatment?

17. CardinalVol

Daughter's fever today has spiked to 101.6.

[uck fay].

18. cpninja

cpninja Member

I picked up some kind of respiratory junk over the weekend and for whatever reason my partner is convinced it's the corona virus. Gonna go ahead and pick out the hymns for my funeral I suppose, I'm open to suggestions

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

nursing homes are awful. Unfortunately I've spent a few years of my life visiting them. Wish they could all fall asleep honestly. Sure there are exceptions but 90% people there are lonely or have no idea what's going on. Families stop coming. I wish they didnt exist. Jmo and dont expect people to agree, but go see your dad for a few months and ones thoughts change.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. certainly

2. mixed bag so far. sometimes they test positive, get better, test negative, then later symptoms return and test positive, though not necessarily contagious.

there are many viruses who don't ever run a course and persist in the body, though a person may recover or no longer be contagious. I don't think it is clear what the deal is absolutely with this one.