COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

Dreaded my first trip to Walmart in 10 days
    Garden Center entrance roped off closed
    Pharmacy entrance roped off closed
    Grocery entrance only one open with entry and exit roped off.
    Kind of like standing in line at Disney world but not as crowded.
    The Grocery entrance was roped to the end of the building where you enter
    Walking in the roped off entrance, you have to stay six feet apart per the entry attendant
    When you get to the door entrance, an attendant has a buggy for you with a sanitized handle
    At the Pharmacy, stickers are on the floor, 6ft apart to stand in line for pickup
    In the store, customers are rather courteous with regard to social distancing, except for the same few in-bred mother[uck fay]ers
    Store employees in general did not look happy.
    Same for the check out registers, 6ft distancing floor stickers
    After check out, follow the roped off section to the exit door maintaining the 6ft distance
    At this point you have officially escaped after going past the exit attendant

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I really feel bad for the folks trying to forecast this stuff out with this seemingly unreliable data. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence out there that folks are being kept at home until absolutely necessary in NYC.

I'm still hopeful that 1) There are significantly more asymptomatic cases than we think. 2) We're still not coming close to capturing the full population that has this right now. 3) Our hospitalization and death rates are significantly lower than we think.

Don't think there's any evidence to support that yet, just pure wishful thinking.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't realize they had determined a species. What species?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Think it was a Chinese horseshoe bat.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

same one that SARS came from.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

And if so, its range does cover Wuhan.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is one thing to hear the numbers of deaths. Numbers are cold. Then you see the faces and hear from family/friends. All sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, moms, dads, etc; beautiful souls all taken to soon.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

hohenfelsvol and NYY like this.
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hmm. Maybe it was just where the SARS strain, which is so genetically similar was found was 600 miles away.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Agree.

This thing continued to hit a little closer to home today.

In addition to my boss’s kid’s soccer coach dying last night (Calgary), we received an email letting us know one guy I work with lost his uncle this week (Louisiana) and that co-worker’s mother is hospitalized with it but stable while another co-worker’s sister (20s) died from CV19 this week (not sure where she was).

12. Ssmiff

Did you read the article? Supposedly cv bat virus testing center is 300 yards from wuhan food market

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't feel bad about shooting bats with bb guns as a kid now

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  14. TennTradition

680 deaths today - in NY alone.

Over 1300 deaths
    Over 32k new cases

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That’s a stone cold fact.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

warhammer and justingroves like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I actually already knew that. You didn't believe it started there before, remember?

18. Ssmiff

Ive not read about the plant prior. I dont recall debating it started in wuhan. I did debate the timeline and how many people there i believe had it prior to china coming forward. I didnt trust when. Assumed it was a bad bat meal but if its true they dont sell bats at the wuhan food market, then it seems possible the virus came from the lab 300 yards away. When has this been mentioned here?

19. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Considering the 8th is pretty much my exclusive news source and I knew that there is a research facility within walking distance to the market, its reasonable to assume it’s been mentioned here. Perhaps you skipped over one or more of the almost 5k posts.

Tenacious D and IP like this.
  20. TennTradition

Are we conflating the L4 infectious disease lab and the testing lab for bats? I’m assuming these are different facilities?