COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Everyone was out visiting folks and having parties yesterday, with limited masks here in Northern Virginia and DC. I think people are just accepting the personal risk and don't feel in control of the risk to the more vulnerable.

justingroves likes this.
  2. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

Thanks IP
    They almost doubled the predicted deaths in the last 24.
    Every 7 to 10 days they normally update, so we'll just see what they come up with next.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Lowe's was just 70/30 masks, Cost Co 100% due to requirement.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. fl0at_

Yesterday I went in to office for first time since March 23rdish. Went to Taco Bell, the liquor store. Ordered Domino's.

Of course I wore a mask. Everyone at work had masks (had...), Dominos's drops the pizza in front of the door on a cardboard stand, and then left.

I'm getting out more and doing more, but I'm wearing a mask when indoors.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Around here, mask usage is fairly high pre 10:00. After that the Bubbas start coming out. The usage is decreasing over time, and based on the past week most people have forgotten about corona.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is my observation as well. Go to Walmart pre 9 or 10, lots of folks still wearing masks, maybe 50/50. After that? 90/10 without, if that.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

IHME was excellent at the entrance phase of the virus - they nailed the peak and were quite good with total deaths. The downside of their model was it’s exit shape. By looking at how other countries exited you could tell they were too steep. About a month ago they started forecasting a slower exit and more deaths but were still too fast. I haven’t looked at their new forecast yet.

TBSVOL likes this.
  8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

They are at 140k now by August. I feel like they were at about 120k a month ago when I had last looked. Or am I not seeing the right forecast?

9. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

yeah, i was looking at TN deaths not national
    yesterday they were at 734 and this morning at 1224
    largest jump they have made so it caught my eye

10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Vegas looks busy. Certainly feels like we're rapidly approaching one extreme or the other at this point. Let's just hope this thing has petered out to some extent.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

I am legit concerned for the next 30 days.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm hoping the virus really is mutating

13. fl0at_

In what way, more or less virulent?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

less

15. NorrisAlan

Brazil has stopped reporting its deaths. This is a huge diservice to its people and the world.

For all of our troubles here in the USA, we still live in the greatest, most free and one of if not the most transparent countries in the world.

16. fl0at_

Brazil is what happens when Donald Trump leads without checks and balances.

The Dooz and NorrisAlan like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

not sure that we are the most free anymore. I can go speak my mind and get gassed and shot with rubber bullets. there are places where the second part doesn't happen.

18. NorrisAlan

I say the localized data point has dipped down, but if we look at trending lines over decades, we are right at the top if not the top.

But we are also the most incarcerated peoples on the planet as well, so I will give you that we might not me the most free. As an individual, I feel pretty damn free though, and go out, as an individual, and pretty much say and do what I please.

The duality of the USA has always been a weird thing.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I've always thought the topic and definition of "free" is interesting.

Recent events have peaked that lately with the virus, quarantines, protests, and actions/reactions to the steps taken toward those.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope it is a peak.