COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

2 million us deaths. No wait 110k. No 80k. Maybe 1 million. Gonna be hard to play football. Well maybe not. Teens are killer carriers. No my bad thats not accurate. Death rate is 50x higher than flu. Wait thats not correct either as we are finding out.
    We cant rush kids back to school. We need to get kids back to school..and on and on.

TT has been better at this than Fauci.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is no magic bullet, and never was.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/treatments-for-covid-19

There was an expectation that treatments trying existing drugs/medications with any indication of positive benefit would become or lead to a strong effective treatment. That is just not something even remotely guaranteed.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

@TennTradition do you believe Ssmiff is making an accurate and fair assessment here?

4. Ssmiff

Never said it was a magic bullet. Patients are being given various meds early onset and the length of hospital stays are down. If not due to meds, then why.

5. Ssmiff

Its my assessment. I dont need your or his approval.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

FDA revoked emergency use a couple weeks ago. And other trials are starting back to determine effectiveness.

It'll likely be found to be not effective.

7. fl0at_

Dexamethasone has shown efficacy in reducing mortality in Britain.

People going to the hospital earlier with a positive test, being admitted and given oxygen early has probably done more than any drug.

Ssmiff likes this.
  8. fl0at_

The death numbers were based on no intervention. Trump was the 80k.

Teens can be carriers, like anyone else.

Currently the death rate vs known cases is around 25x that of the flu.

We need to get kids back to school, but we shouldn't rush it. That's not a conflicting statement, it says "kids need to go back to school, but we need to be thoughtful about how we let it happen."

9. Ssmiff

You mean the fda who allows side effects such as cancer, stroke and death with approved drugs but are concerned about cardiac arrest in elderly with a drug thats been around and approved for decades? Yeah i never have and dont trust them. They prevent great products and meds by making it too costly for companies to pay the billions it takes to bring a drug to market, but will clear any drug if the price is right regardless of efficacy and side effects.

10. fl0at_

I mean the FDA that is allowing drugs that have proven EFFICACY against the thing they are being used for, and saying the side effect is a potential by product of treatment.

I mean the FDA that says side effects of a drug not proven to do anything is too high a risk, without proof that it works.

That FDA.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You are helplessly stupid.

12. Ssmiff

In March we were told asymptomatic teens were the ones who will be infecting their parents and grandparents, which appears to be bullshit. It was a big reason why they cleared the beaches during spring break.

13. fl0at_

Asymptomatic spread has and continues to happen. Just recently, a teen visiting a Florida beach, asymptomatically spread it to classmates of hers at her drive through high school graduation in... New York.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Your assessment is based on false information. You are attributing all of those forecasts to Fauci, and and also deleting each projections' underpinning assumptions which is what gives them any meaning at all. I agree that approval is not needed. But your assessment is still fundamentally flawed.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Appears to be bullshit, in what way?

16. Ssmiff

Ive said prior its cdc, who, fda, fauci and trump.
    Fauci has a job title though and speaks to the nation. You think hes done his job well. Many others dont. That shouldnt be more than a difference of opinion.

17. fl0at_

I think the disconnect is that IP is looking for opinion with backing. As in like, "I think Fauci has done a poor job, because on (some date) he said (incorrect things)."

For example, I think the WHO has done a terrible job because (see that word) they didn't hold China accountable early, and verify reports coming out, they early said community spread was low, which is only temporarily true, they said asymptomatic spread was a rare driver, which is false, and they said masks aren't needed, which is stupid.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. Ssmiff

Seems to be a simple matter of differing opinions. One hand says fauci has done his job well. Unbiased and accurate info when he speaks, with no scare tactics. IP nor you have been asked to cite sources for your opinion on him.
    I disagree with the above. No big deal is it?

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is the consensus in here that the majority of these new cases are younger people who likely won’t be impacted as negatively? And that the next 2 weeks to a month could either be significantly lighter from a death perspective if those young people don’t get anyone else sick, or just as bad/worse if they pass it on to older folks?

20. fl0at_

You are free to ask for a citation. I'll give it, I assure you of that. Is it a big deal for you to do the same when asked?