COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I meant US (i was reading about NY on another screen) and no i didnt see the number of overall deaths in US change per week during peak death weeks, last time i looked a couple months ago. Numbers read 54-58k.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They probably could, but it would still be "illegal", and by the time it was deemed so by some court somewhere, it would be over. Much like the suspension of habius corpus by Lincoln. Legal? No. But nothing could be done about it till it was too late and it was undone.

That said, you also don't see things like "Don't go vote". Going to a bar or a football game is a luxury not protected by the Constitution. Going to a protest is necessary for our government to be monitored and controlled by the populace, and thus is protected by the Constitution.

DISCLAIMER: Like Card, I am not a Con Lawyer or even pretend to be one and could be so off course with this that I will look stupid.

3. Ssmiff

Lets call the fall a season of protests and watch a game each saturday in between.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t think that’s true.

We’re allowed to peacefully assemble under the 1st so ball games, gathering at bars and churches isn’t just a luxury but a protected right.

I think it’s unconstitutional to shut them down by force.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Calling something a protest does not a protest make.

You can go protest that there is no football, though. But you'll be doing it outside of the stadium, on the sidewalk.

6. fl0at_

There are no public bars, churches or ball games. They are all private.

The constitution does not apply to private things.

7. Ssmiff

Since when?

8. fl0at_

1776ish

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

So gun ownership isn’t protected then since private companies make the firearms with your view.

10. Ssmiff

Look around you 2020ish. If all this bullshit going on is considered protesting, anything goes. One side doesnt get to make the call

11. fl0at_

Why don't you expand on how you think my "view" makes gun ownership not protected.

Because I think you've mixed up a translation.

12. fl0at_

Are they protesting inside a stadium, or on the street? Inside a bar, or on the street? At a home? Or on the street?

Protests happen at public spaces. What you are saying isn't public spaces. You want to have a pick up game of football on I-40, you got a protest.

You don't get to do it at Neyland. That's private. (Which is odd, since it is a public university).

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Guns aren’t a public good/space.

They’re private property but a protected right of citizens to have if they wish.

Peaceful assembly is also a protected right, even on private property if the owner wants to open it up to peacefully assemble to the public.

It seems to be unconstitutional to tell free citizens they can’t freely assemble if they wish too. Trespassing on private property isn’t peacefully assembling.

14. fl0at_

You cannot open private property up to "peaceful assembly." That's why there are fire codes that prohibit how many people can be in a church, or at a ball game, or a bar. Peaceful assembly refers to groups of people on public property.

Can you open up a business, and say screw the occupancy law, and let 10,000 people inside? No. Why not, if "peaceful assembly" applies to private grounds? Why hasn't this just been tossed out by any court, anywhere, as unconstitutional?

15. Ssmiff

May open up a bar called The Protest. Plenty of commercial space available now. Maybe make the patio look like a street and give patrons a controlled area to destroy someone elses property.

16. fl0at_

It's still private property. I personally encourage you to do it, because I think a good way to understand this for you might be to lose a shit ton of money and get beaten in the head with the judicial system.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Actually police can stop you if you are impeding traffic unless you have applied for a permit.

justingroves likes this.
  18. fl0at_

Yea, I'm using I-40 as a joke. You can play on the sidewalk though. Just very narrow.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It gets tricky if you’re just slowing it down but not blocking it.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There are days I want to go and edit an Con Law class mainly because I think you almost have to have it to function in modern society now.