COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wonder why 100.4 for the temp. Is that like a standard deviation threshold away from 98.6? Or is that some defined threshold for a fever? Very specific number I haven't noticed before.

2. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

This school thing will be a shitstorm of mammoth proportions. Many kids who will be sent home due to Covid or just being in contact with a positive case won't have access to computers for virtual learning to stay engaged. Furthermore, who is going to pay for these kids to be tested if the parents are broke and can't afford it? There will be some parents raising every living hell over the fact that little Johnny HAS TO BE IN SCHOOL DAMNIT because I have to work. Which I mean is kind of a valid argument in a way. So if little Johnny has to stay home but mom is still supposed to be at work to make sure she has grocery money - boy - this is going to be a hell of a fiasco.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The actual value of schools is being revealed to people who may not have realized it before. Also, the ripples of income inequality are more evident to some people than they were before.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's been the benchmark around here that I have seen. No clue why that specific, but that seems to be the number to use.

If one of my kids are 99.6 we keep them home.

justingroves likes this.
  5. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I have a degree in Education - and have been in the public school system - yet here I am selling real estate. I applaud anyone who can stay in that system as teachers in this day and age and put up with all the bullshit. I have twins that are 7 and an almost 11 year old and all of them have been homeschooled their entire lives. They have always had outside activities like church, dance, girl scouts, etc. but I have kept them out of public schools and now I'm thankful they are already used to this routine.

IP likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s also the number UT (my neck of the woods at least) uses

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's what is considered medically the start of a low grade fever

IP likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's a disaster over all.

The kids that don't need school will do well and those that need school will fall behind or totally check out.

There was no accountability or standards to hold the students by, and we had a hard time of the even making contact or finding a portion of students

justingroves likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

TIL

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Mother-in-law and father-in-law both tested positive. We haven't seen them in 2+weeks, thankfully.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hopefully they will be mild cases.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Seem to be so far. Father-in-law had a day where he felt like shit and was fine by the next morning and has been back to normal exercise routine, working in the yard, etc. Mother-in-law had a couple of days where she felt like she had a cold, which is what made them decide to get tested because she never gets anything like that. They both feel fine today, but have to quarantine for 14 days from the day of the test.

CardinalVol, Volst53 and justingroves like this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Glad they're okay

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There's a global warming joke here somewhere.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Automobile deaths are way down - because no one is driving. (or at least no one was driving)

Cardiac deaths up a bit, I believe.

17. TennTradition

It is a 1 Celcius degree fever.

98.6 F = 37 C
    100.4 F = 38 C

So, probably a WHO-derived figure.

Indy, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Florida reporting single day record of deaths of 120.

19. TennTradition

I always thought 98.6 was an oddly-specific body temperature. Seemed to jump around too much to support that tenth of a degree of precision. Then, I realized it was just 37C.

IP likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

wow, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!