COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Total deaths in US lower than last year?

We’ve had about 380,000 excess deaths this year over what we would have expected. That number will be over 400k by the end of the year.

NorrisAlan and A-Smith like this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Think they got fake newsd by that Hopkins publication by the econ prof

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No doubt in my mind. Just the first ones where's it's made it public.

6. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I haven't posted in this thread in a good while but I follow it and have one thought that really doesn't make that much sense to me.

I am an avid dirt racing fan. It's my biggest hobby. Over the last few years I mostly just watch on the internet because of time constraints and kids and life. This summer through fall there were hundreds of dirt tracks around the country running weekly shows. In addition to weekly shows there were also many big races that attracted a large number of cars and fans. NASCAR may have been social distancing but I can guarantee you that 95% of the dirt tracks were not. I know several races that had attendances of 20k-30k people packed in together with the majority of those people absolutely not wearing masks.

The local track down the road Volunteer Speedway held several special events this year. I think they encouraged mask wearing and may have even required you to have on coming through the gates but I watch the streams online. At the Gap this past Saturday there were several thousand people in attendance for the Grinch race they had - and in the videos you can see that most of the people were absolutely not wearing masks at all.

Where were the outbreaks from these races? I never heard about them. It leads me to two different beliefs.

The first is that there are FAR, FAR more people that have had Covid-19 than has been reported and there are more and more people that have it with very little to no symptoms. The second is that in an open air environment it must be pretty damn hard to transmit. That second one may already have studies about it but I've not kept up with it as much this fall.

I'm not denying that there aren't many cases all over the friggin place right now with a lot of sick people. I've had friends who have died of Covid. Albeit the several that have passed away were all 65+ years old and former teachers or work colleagues. Still, I am not living under a rock not believing that it's not a real problem. But I am really puzzled as to how hundreds of dirt tracks ran all summer/fall and basically didn't cause massive outbreaks across the nation? It may not seem like a lot but when you have tracks that can pack in 10k plus for big races - and some like Eldora and Knoxville Iowa 30k fans - there should have been big outbreaks from dirt races across the country.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There are so many people that keep going about their normal lives when they know they've got it. They should really get fined.

justingroves likes this.
  8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's pretty well known that being outdoors makes it hard to transmit.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I will still question if masks work, as cases keep skyrocketing to new highs as I see mandatory mask usage around my area when entering buildings, for the last few weeks.
    More people than ever are wearing them, yet here we are setting records everywhere. It doesnt jibe

10. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Still, when you factor in that these people are literally sitting on top of one another for 3-6 hours.......

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's cold weather. Well, actually low absolute humidity

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

how can they do that and not be crippled with guilt? they could be killing people they never met.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

8 foot ceiling versus the sky is a big deal I think. Diffusion.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I imagine these events are super spreader events.

But that's a pretty niche community. But if we had good contract tracing, you'd see that spreading occurred at these events, even outdoors.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

A couple of stories I've heard about people lately are just infuriating.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

if it were 100% effective, people would still be getting it other ways besides indoors. it isn't a simple thing. we are setting records everywhere because that's how exponential growth works. people didn't take it seriously, it hung around spread around during the favorable warm months, and now we are in a pickle.

questioning masks working at all is doubling down on ignoring the science.

17. fl0at_

Masks aren't 100. Even a N95 respirator is only 95% effective, when worn correctly.

That means clean shaven (no beard), right fit, tight fit, with the mask contacting skin all around the face.

But you can do the probability math. If something is only 95% effective, and 10% of people have it, how many people do you need to see before you've 100% come in to contact with it?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like how in a few posts, we have one guy questioning how contagious this is because of crowds at dirt tracks and another questioning how well masks work because of record numbers.

[uck fay]ing hell, put the puzzle pieces together. the world spins on even if you aren't watching it. our individual observations are a tiny slice of events.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It would be interesting to see how many people have caught it from someone they know. We are great (many places) at masking when out among strangers. But have a few friends over, meet for lunch, talk to a friend at church, etc amd the mask very often comes off.

Masks should help slow this down. My wager is they do. Not fool proof but very helpful. However we aren’t masking around people all the time. And indoors ventilation just generally isn’t good enough.

20. fl0at_

I kinda feel like a [Penis], but I had a bunch laying around from wood working, and doing the leaves and stuff.

But... I have been in a N95 since March. And shave weekly now.