COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think I'm against the covid vaccine so I don't know if i fit into that box, but I've already had my year Flu shot a week ago.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve had the Covid shot but never a flu shot

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Why the hesitancy with the COVID vaccine? The newness, the delivery method (mRNA), or something else?

I can't imagine it's "necessity" as you doubtfully need the flu vaccine either, at your age and condition.

JayVols likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not against the covid vaccine but I do not get a flu shot. I got the shot twice and ended up with the flu a few weeks later both times. It's the only time I have been diagnosed with the flu

lylsmorr likes this.
  5. fl0at_

Do you just enjoy being miserable for 24-48 hours every year, or is it a time vs risk thing?

The flu kicks my ass, so I get a flu shot.

6. fl0at_

You got stuck too late in the season. If you wait til winter, it's too late.

You need to get it in September to early October.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I was getting the J&J one and then they pulled it before my appointment. I caught covid before I could reschedule for it.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If it’s been 6 months or more since you caught it and you are open to vaccination, you might want to consider getting a shot as a natural immunity booster.

JayVols likes this.
  9. fl0at_

So you don't like the mRNA tech? Because J&J is the traditional killed/attenuated virus vaccine but the others are mRNA.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

All three of my kids just had covid and parents. So I'd think that close exposure should have kicked it again, as we made no measures besides not being around other people

My parents were fully vaccinated, but still had break through cases

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I just wanted to be jabbed one time, and the J&J would have kept me out of the hospital or dying

fl0at_ likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

it seems elders are more susceptible to breakthroughs, but the outcomes are dramatically less often severe.

JayVols likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Both mine were early October, I was told it was a "different strain of flu".

14. JohnnyQuickkick

As far as I know I’ve never had the flu

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

lol well maybe it was. I usually get the flu shot, usually a little late, but I haven't gotten sick from the flu since I was a kid. Getting the flu still after being vaccinated isn't uncommon, but it definitely reduces symptoms and recovery time even if a mismatched type.

but you have kids, so there are probably all kinds of flu like bugs crossing your path that aren't actually flu.

while not taking away from the the flu shot, the best thing we can do is wash our hands frequently and not touch our faces outside of the house without first washing our hands. People putting their dirty [penis] beater on door knobs and then you touching that and then your face is a lot of the garden variety winter illness uptick.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There's always been anti-vaxxers, but not to this degree & not due to a significant number over the reasons many are against them now. The old-school anti-vaxxers usually would find some quack doctor to rally around instead of listening to anonymous folks on Facebook (I [uck fay]ing HATE that cesspool. I could die a happy man right now if I could kick Zuckerberg in the jimmy... repeatedly), radio & tv personalities, a sheet metal fabricator, a plumber, doomsday preppers & the like. I truly don't understand this trend of shunning expertise & embracing nonsense.

I'm not going to go there, but we all know one of the main reason's that's the case. Doesn't make it any less bewildering to me, though.

I will say that the way COVID vaccines were portrayed as they were being developed & released hasn't helped. Sure, the truth about how mRNA was developed was out there, but the, "Wow! They did this in less than a year" narrative was by far the most dominant. The fact that mRNA goes back to 1985 was lost. The fact that the development of mRNA for a coronavirus (colds) goes back to the same time period took a backseat to the "developed in less than a year narrative" as well as the fact that mRNA development for a SARS type coronavirus (SARS-Cov 1) goes back to 2002. SARS-Cov 2 (COVID) was developed like flu vaccines in a sense. The technology was there. They just adjusted it to fit what was needed, same as adjusting the flu vaccine to protect against the predicted dominant strain each year. The technology had already been developed. The tweaking of mRNA to neutralize the protein spikes specific to COVID 19 is what was "developed in less than a year", not the technology itself. Framing the vaccine as it was has caused irreparable harm. They also did a poor job emphasizing the fact that you are not "putting the virus in your body" when you get an mRNA vaccine. It's not a killed virus. It's not a weakened live virus. mRNA vaccines contain NO COVID 19 virus. At. All. They simply program the immune system to develop antibodies to go after the spike proteins of the virus which prohibits it from attaching to cells. Without being able to do that, it inhibits it's ability replicate in the body, resulting in no infection or MUCH milder infection due to a GREATLY reduced viral load. A big bonus is that by preventing replication, it's effective in preventing mutations in the virus that can become more contagious, deadly or, God forbid, gain the ability to completely evade the vaccines.

mRNA is not "new". The "tweak" for SARS Cov 2, just like yearly tweaks in flu vaccines, is what was developed quickly. It's a very common thing in medical science to use existing tech & knowledge to apply to changing conditions in much less time.

We really dropped the ball the way the vaccines were "sold" to the public, and now the anti-vaxx crazy has taken deep root in segments of an otherwise very rational & intelligent population. Then there's a certain small segment that's just batshit crazy who can't be reached no matter what. But I'm preaching to the choir saying this to you.

dknash, gcbvol, CitrusCo.Vol and 2 others like this.
  17. fl0at_

I'm a bit incredulous, and I'll explain why:

The flu isn't really in the US in October. So how you got it, especially so soon after receiving a vaccine, is rare, and mind boggling. To do so twice, is extra rare, to the point of disbelief.

The US peaks flu December to March.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm ok with that.

Thanks for getting the jab. I truly do appreciate it.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

I want this shit over with as much as anybody

JayVols likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I had never had the flu shot until I had the flu in 2014......................and I've had a flu shot every year since then.

I've had COVID and the vaccine, so I feel invincible at this point.

fl0at_ and JayVols like this.