COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

they were using ivermectin before the surge, it is not effective. same with hydroxychloroquine. they have used that monoclonal antibody stuff to the extent they had supply, which works. they have used a combination of corticosteroids and antivirals, which work but left the immune system suppressed to the point of that black fungal secondary infection killing or blinding people.

JayVols likes this.
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

For the seasonal thing to stick, you do know we're eventually going to have to stop seeing it in *every* season, right?

Daddy Gee likes this.
  3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

[​IMG]

Pretty sure it would work for chapped lips.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Say what you want, but kids never try to get out of school by faking sick.

warhammer likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

officially more us deaths than 1918 Spanish flu

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Likewise, if it would work, we should try that shit.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The steepness of the drop has been interesting. Their %positive on tests has been below 2%, which suggests testing is adequate. Or at least that it is adequate in places where it is being offered.

I will add it isn’t really 80-90+% vaccinated, but 80-90+% with effective immunity (natural or vaccinated). I don’t think the numbers don’t support sufficient prior infections to drive herd immunity when combined with the vaccination rates. But it’s really hard to say just how many cases were missed. So then I start wondering what measures people are taking to try to curb spread.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Ivermectin isn’t purported to be preventative of contracting the virus, is it?

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No idea. I just read about it and try to discern what is fact and fiction. Saw an article today in regards to a 230 million person area of India claiming to be covid free and claiming ivermectin being passed out like tic tacs was the main reason. Didnt post it because the cite was "Real Truth" or something like that screamed right fringe

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The claims of ivermectin being a preventative/ treatment for COVID have been flagged as fraud. Even the company that makes ivermectin for treatment of parasitic worms in humans, Merck, has issued statements saying that there is no scientific basis for a therapeutic effect against COVID. That should tell folks everything they need to know about that. Big pharma companies are all about making as much money as possible. They'd be running non-stop ads touting ivermectin therapy for COVID if there was any chance at all it was an effective treatment. They would have also jacked up the price of the drug about 5,000% by now. If COVID were caused by a parasitic worm (it isn't), it could possibly be an effective treatment (but it isn't). A virus & a worm are totally different organisms, as everyone should know.

You know what is both safe & very effective at not only preventing COVID infections but also guarding against serious illness in rare breakthrough cases? The vaccines that were designed specifically to target the SARS-Cov 2 virus. Crazy, no?

Did I mention that those safe & highly effective COVID vaccines are widely available (just go to pretty much any pharmacy) & totally free of charge? I don't know what folks on Facebook & talk radio have to say about the vaccines (and don't give half a shit), but there are MULTIPLE real peer reviewed scientifically based medical studies that support the safety & efficacy of the vaccines. In fact there's so much data out there that confirms their safety & efficacy that the FDA has given the vaccines their full authorization. Can't remember, did I mention that these safe & highly effective vaccines are readily available at practically any pharmacy & totally free of charge?

Ivermectin is great for deworming livestock. The human version will straight up hare-lip any intestinal roundworms of which one might be unfortunate enough to be afflicted. But COVID? Nah. Not so much.

SetVol13 and The Dooz like this.
  11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Does this matter for any other reason other than to just say it? 3x the population now vs back then. Significantly easier means to travel and spread across wider areas. It kinda makes sense we’d pass it, doesn’t it?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, just history. Definitely nothing worth knowing, right?

Go look at the early pages of this thread, you'll see comparisons were made to that and dismissed as being alarmist. Yes, adjusting for population that was still bigger proportionally but nonetheless, the raw numbers are to that point and it isn't over.

JayVols likes this.
  13. JayVols

Much better healthcare today. Far superior technology/knowledge & exponentially greater access to care today vs 1918-1919. For historical perspective, penicillin wasn't even discovered until 1928.

How many could have been saved during the Spanish Flu with antiviral flu medication & modern ventilators? We'll never know the answer, but for every reason you explained away the death comparison (which weren't invalid points), there's a reason to take it seriously.

VolDad likes this.
  14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

We can look at the 2009 swine flu pandemic for some clues, since it was caused by the same subtype.

Granted there were obviously some changes in the strain over 90 years, but like 340K people were killed worldwide. Gotta think vaccines and treatments really did good work against it.

Side note, I don’t know if any of y’all got the swine flu, but it was a mother[uck fay]er

JayVols likes this.
  15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We are to blame for the unvaxed....

Breitbart Writer Claims ‘Organized Left’ Uses ‘Reverse Psychology’ to ‘Trick’ People Into Refusing ‘Trump Vaccine’

...But in one piece, Nolte accused Joe Biden and the Democrats of wanting right-wingers to die. “The left’s morality is guided only by that which furthers their fascist agenda, and so using reverse psychology to trick Trump supporters NOT to get a life-saving vaccine is, to them, a moral good,” he wrote. “The more of us who die, the better.”...

JayVols likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

very convoluted logic. why not just use the Breitbart platform to champion vaccination as a safe and effective path forward? any time in the last 6 months?

also, why was trump himself actually booed at a rally this summer when he encouraged people to get vaccinated, if this is the case?

no more bullshitting, help convince people it is safe and the right thing. it's only political if there is a disagreement.

NorrisAlan and JayVols like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

if the only thing that motivates is to "spite liberals" then fine. improve the odds of being around to vote in a few more elections and get the shot to own the libs. good grief, the malice is boundless these days

JayVols likes this.
  18. JayVols

Um. That writer is an idiot on many levels. First, "Left" & "fascist" are incompatible. Fascism is an extreme right-wing ideology. Second, that article is calling its own audience a bunch of dumbasses, and that audience is too eat up with dumbassery to realize it. I mean the writer's whole [asinine] point is that the folks who read that type of trash are stupid enough to fall for the evil libs' diabolical plan to kill them... Riiiight. Finally, when folks are willing to risk death from a highly contagious virus- for which we have safe & effective vaccines- thinking they are scoring political points against their political enemies, "owning the libs" in this particular case, they cease to be a legitimate political group, movement or ideology. They're a death cult.

I saw the article last night. Some people would rather see the world burn than find common ground or even a common reality/truth on something like a deadly virus. When shit like this has grown deep roots in a not insignificant segment of our society, we're [uck fay]ed as a country.

As for me, if wanting folks to get vaccinated so we all can live life again is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Poppa T and HCKevinSteele like this.
  19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

MPD lost a young, unvaccinated officer to COVID this weekend, and various news sources are tripping over themselves to frame it for their consumers, with Fox and the local police association calling it "an illness."

And another local media outlet putting "while receiving treatment for COVID" on it, as if it was the treatment... and not the infection.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The level of rationalization for this must be tiring for those doing it.