Cure for an injured leg

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by halamadridista, Jul 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. halamadridista

halamadridista New Member

My 8-year old dog suffers from a front leg injury due to an accident. I can’t help but feel the pain that she has to endure every single day so I have tried to find a great remedy online and have seen this heated dog bed. I want to know your opinion about this pet product. Also, do you know any other way to help my Pomeranian ease the pain?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Sorry to hear about your friend. I really don't know of anything for this. Have you asked your vet?

3. halamadridista

halamadridista New Member

Thank you for your concern Sir, I haven't ask my vet yet regarding this stuff as I have only conducted my own research. He will be conducting a follow-up check-up next week to see if there's any improvement on my Pomeranian's health condition. I am now monitoring that activities that she's been doing and I must say that she really is bored. I am also keeping the cone on as she tends to lick her casts and then add some supplements that my vet have suggested. BTW, do you know any activities to keep my dog mentally stimulated?

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Are you sure you don't mean German Shepherd?

There is a dog documentary on Netflix, that suggests that a kiddie pool full of an odorous substrate with various competing odors can be used to stimulate a dog.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Give your vet head's-up that you are wanting to talk about pain management possibilities generally and a heated dog bed specifically, a few days before your appointment. It will give them a chance to dig around and think about the problem, maybe assign an employee to do some research.

I don't know what the state of heated dog beds is. I do know that heated beds or pads can sometimes be dangerous if the dog has trouble controlling its bladder, as the urine can conduct a lot more heat than is intended and scald-- there are ways to engineer around that problem, I am just warning you that it is something to keep in mind when you are shopping for such a thing.

What kind of leg injury is it? Back hip? It isn't uncommon for a little dog like that to have a bad leg or two. One of the best things you can do is keep their weight down and don't let them jump up on anything. My dog is a lot bigger than a pom, but she is almost 11 and we have had stairs up the bed for the last year or so to keep her from jumping. I still let her get on the couch on her own. Never in my life would I have imagined I would get a dog stairs, but I do think it is helping to avoid aggravating joint issues.

Note that if the vet wants to go a pharmaceutical route, steroids and barbiturates take a toll on organs over time. Your dog might have another 6 or 8 years in them, but would have less if they are taking those kinds of medication from here on out. It's a balancing act concerning quality of life.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

My daughter-in-law is a vet an a local emergency care center. She said the heated bed will not help. said to go to a vet. There are pain meds that be prescribed.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Vets always say go to the vet. But they're usually right.