DCS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fl0at_, May 10, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

IL-2. No point in starting a new thread. Probably still just me and IP.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have fiddled with it. No clicky cockpits kinda sucks.

3. fl0at_

I spent about an hour today trying to map everything button and do-thingy available to me.

Tomorrow I might actually try playing the game...

4. fl0at_

IL-2 career is a fun little dynamic campaign. Not taxing on the system either, so you could probably play it IP.

No clickable cockpits suck, but, there aren't that many switches anyway.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I already own it so I will look into it. may buy an American plane though, I don't fly german or russian?

6. fl0at_

Battle of Bodenplatte is on sale right now for $19.99 for premium, and comes with P-51D, P-47D, Spitfire Mk.IX and P-38J.

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

well, I am in. I have to go to a wedding and catch covid this weekend, but I bought the expansion and will see about mapping controls when I get back Monday

8. fl0at_

I haven't looked into multiplayer yet.

I'm starting out single player on the career menu option. I chose not to be a squadron commander, which means I get selected for sorties, rather than fly them all, which I'm fine with. I didn't choose not to be squadron commander, but I reset the career and that made me regular Joe, which worked out well enough for me.

Some person made a set of "flight school" campaigns, if you want to look in to them, but DCS experience translates well enough and I didn't have any trouble flying or landing.

Taxiing and takeoff was a different story. Taxiiing is rough, and the first couple of take offs I just bombed because I didn't lock the tail wheel, or didn't apply enough back stick... which wasn't ever the case in DCS.

I used this video to set up my initial controls.

Areas that have been problematic have been trimming (because apparently German planes don't have roll trim), mapping keys sometimes, for some reason, don't stick, and I have to do it twice, and a bunch of things have to be mapped two or three times, since though they do mostly the same thing in plane, they are called different things, like stab vs elevator trim.

And I fought mapping stab for whatever reason didn't work, unless I mapped axis first, which I'm still trying to figure out.

But, in career single player, hit P and then just modify keys as you go. Single player sorties take about 20 mins, so not a huge time commitment to just jump in and go.

If you notice any little idiosyncrasies, let me know, as I've probably missed them.

I can't hit shit, and mostly just fly around and run out of ammo. And I keep forgetting to enable TacView so I can't see if I'm high low or what.

Oh, last little thing, when landing in career mode, do it the normal way... you first. If you wait, you'll be circling the airport for 20 minutes, as the AI like to chat with the controller and then loop the field 5 or 6 times before landing.

Flight school: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topi...paigns-english-german-french-italian-spanish/

Controls setup:

IP likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

my experience with the p-51 and other wing guns is that you need to fly right up to the target such that it fills your whole reticule if there is much maneuvering occurring. and I read that as a quote from a ww2 ace in some book. the guys with a lot of confirmed kills had massive balls.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

otherwise short bursts attempting to intersect the cockpit area

11. fl0at_

IL-2 having a bit of a sale.

12. fl0at_

My evga queue finally fired, so I got my 3080. Wish I had queued up for a 3090, but, whatever. So I ordered a reverb g2 as well.

I guess I'm headed to VR.

IP likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You have a stroke?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

He just dropped some cash.

15. fl0at_

Wife might...

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Reading his post makes me feel like Indy trying to read a post about basketball

17. fl0at_

Graphics cards are hard to find retail, so the secondary market has jacked up prices. They are hard to find retail because the crypto miners use purchase bots to snap them up as soon as stock is shown. And then scalpers do the same for the secondary market to gouge the prices.

One graphics card seller set up a queue people could get on, and I signed up a long time ago, and my place finally came up. So I bought a new graphics card (3080). And then a VR rig (Reverb G2) that people seem to like for this game (DCS).

Next up is a new processor, motherboard, case and ram.

18. Ssmiff

Think I'm gonna do the same

19. fl0at_

Tencent bought IL-2 so possibly no Pacific Theater now. No way a Chinese based company allows a game where you can play Imperial Japan...

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm wondering if sanctions will affect DCS directly. They had talked about moving out of Russia, but did they?