[ddiapos]/Mike Shula comparison thread.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 1, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Mike Shula- 26-23 record as the Head Coach at the Univ. of Alabama (most storied football program in the SEC) from 03-06. Followed severe turmoil with the termination of Mike Price. Son of legendary NFL coach Don Shula. Unimpressive resume(better than Dooley's though), when hired by a premier football university. Youth, inexperience, and injuries plagued his 1st 2 seasons at Alabama. His 3rd season was a dramatic improvement in which the team went 10-2 and led to him receiving a 6 year contract extension. In his 4th year, the team faltered to a 6-6 record, thus leading athletic director Mal Moore to fire him, and pay him a 4 million dollar buyout. Then the team hires a certified coaching badass in Nick Saban and has went on an impressive 55-12 run, including 2 national titles. Recruiting is currently off the charts for the Crimson Tide.

[ddiapos]- 11-14 record as the current Head Coach at the Univ. of Tennessee (2nd most storied football program in the SEC) from 2010 till present. Followed severe turmoil in the aftermath of the Fulmer firing/Kiffin resignation. Son of legendary SEC coach Vince Dooley. Unimpressive resume. Youth, inexperience, and injuries plagued his first two years at the helm of the Vols program. His 3rd season is expected to be a very good improvement. Beyond this we don't know, but the university hired Dave Hart as the AD, who went through the Shula/Saban transition at Alabama, and expect Hart to try to make a homerun hire if Dooley does not pan out. Recruiting is top 15-20 in the country under Dooley. it was in that range with Shula at Alabama.

I couldn't help but do this. I know that this has been beaten to death, but the parallels are astounding. Add anymore that may come to your mind.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

At this point, Dooley looks to be nothing more than a poor man's Shula.

The odds are heavily stacked against Dooley ever leading a 10 win football team in the SEC at any point during his career.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Mike Shula is a well-respected position coach and decent player in his own right. He obviously couldn't handle what comes with the Bama job, but I respect him quite a bit.

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Insert John Gruden or Pete Carrol

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I thought about putting Gruden and Smart in there as candidates to replace Dooley.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Gruden hire would be what parallels the Saban hire.

We got our version of Dubose, Franchione, and Shula, so hopefully we get our Saban.

7. GoVols

GoVols Member

Get Petrino in here, bring back Chavis to run the defense.

Tennessee = back.

If you don't like Petrino because he is sleezy, give me a better option available to us then Petrino / Chavis.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't know how they compare but do know that neither is qualified to coach in the SEC.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'd rather do my own dental work than have to see Chavis try and run a defense that isn't stacked to the gills. He is one the most over-rated coaches in the history of the conference.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Petrino/Chavis...

God help us for this even being pitched. That's rock bottom.

Isn't it?

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

[uck fay] that!

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Shula did it in year three, so let's see what Dooley has up his sleeve.

He also got fired following year four, which is kind of how I see Dooley playing out.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is a great joke. Kudos to you

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

This is how I see it as well KPT.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yeah, there are several people that I don't want anywhere around Knoxville and both of those guys are on the list.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I just hope that if we do well in 2012 then tank in 2013 there isn't some feeling that 2013 was the anomaly and not 2012.

17. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

^ this. Hate to say it, but a 10 win 2012 would be the worst thing that could happen to Tenn football.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

In lost time, for sure. I don't think things are necessarily getting any worse than they are. We're already irrelevant in recruiting age guys. We blew the Kentucky streak. We struggle with Vandy. We can't beat Bama or Florida. We consistently fail to make/win bowls.

We've hit rock bottom, so a brief bounce from smacking the pavement is possible. We could survive a '13 meltdown with Dooley if we had to. The worst thing possible for Tennessee has already happened in full with 3 coaches in 2 years, book-ended with end-of-career Fulmer and no-career Dooley.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  19. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Yep on lost time. Like kpt suggested, a great '12 followed by a poor '13 would probably lead to at least one more year for Dooley ('14). Dooley is not going to suddenly become a great gameday HC or a great (top 5-10) recruiter. The trend on recruiting is downward for Tenn. We're a top 25 recruiting school. When he leaves, we're going to have middling talent in the SEC with hopefully a few bright spots on which we can build.

Mainly, the perception of Tenn football is continuing to suffer. That's what worries me. When you have one setback after another, people assume that that's who you are. That group of people would go from fans to national media to students to recruits. A current recruit was in middle school for the '05 and '08 seasons. They were in high school for the Kiffin debacle. They saw the chaos and collapse of last year. They saw Dooley lose nearly his entire staff. They see 30 players on academic probation. No leadership at the top.

Compared to all of the buzz around Tenn football during the 90's and early 2000's, we're a non-factor nationally now. With our budget, there's no reason not to throw beaucoup $$$ at the biggest name we can get. If he doesn't win in 2-3 years, move on. Just like the current winners in the SEC do.

20. GoVols

GoVols Member

Then... as I said..... suggest a better option.