Decline of Bee Population

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by gcbvol, Feb 7, 2020.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

The issues with bee population (and insects in general) continues to be one of my biggest concerns. I'm nowhere close to an expert on agriculture, but if the trend continues food supply is going to be impacted.

Bumblebees Are Disappearing Because Of Extreme Heat

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

What we’re putting on seeds and pesticides have a way bigger impact than the heat

warhammer and gcbvol like this.
  3. gcbvol

Also, the impacts go well beyond human crops. It's a domino scenario.

4. gcbvol

No question. The increasing heat on top of what we've already done is only making the situation worse.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You can blame me for a few. Took out some carpenter bees with a tennis racquet last summer and sent a couple bumblebees for a ride. They got lumped together with the wrong group and collateral damage. However, those [uck fay]ers are thick so there is a chance they enjoyed the ride.

MWR likes this.
  6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think they could handle the heat.

Now if you’re a scientist and come out against the pesticides and industrial agriculture system. You’re thrown under the bus pretty quick.

One of the top entomologist in the country that worked for the Obama administration first started talking about the bee decline got kicked out and had to start his own company to do research.

Monoculture is the biggest threat our society faces. Sad part is that the technology and knowledge to fix it while being more economical for the farmer and way more environmentally friendly for society.

But we have this whole corporate industry and politicians from both sides that protect it and hide science and information to the public

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Amen, but sell that to short sighted and bottom line based companies.

gcbvol and IP like this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Peter Drucker is one of the greatest things to happen to American business.

Peter Drucker is also one of the worst things to happen to American business.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not that simple.

It’s way pass just companies. It’s with the universities, government programs, seed fertilizer pesticides equipment companies, and farmers.

There’s a ton of people doing it the non conventional way but they’re just dismissed

gcbvol likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

the issues of pesticides and monocroping do not diminish heat effects. they're all a problem independently and cumulatively.

Keep in mind heat patterns can affect moisture demand and moisture availability. They don't get water from a river or a tap. they're drinking from dew and microclimates, losing water based on temps. If you have less dew that is available less of the time with more water demand... then factor in how plants respond, which is their food.

Every living thing has an envelope of the conditions it can tolerate.

JudgmentVol and gcbvol like this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Monoculture is the biggest threat to losing water due to killing the soils ability to absorb water and making the soils temperature hotter.

Plus with no till and cover crops you actually build soil and sequester carbon

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, it is not a good use of water, soil, and a source of food insecurity.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What does he have to do with it?