"Delayed Deporting": A Question.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hatvol96, Aug 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

With the president's new "delayed deporting" policy going into effect, I have a question. Shouldn't having served in the armed forces and been honorably discharged entitle you to citizenship, regardless of how you got here?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I would say yes, and I knew a few who were serving to aid in being granted citizenship.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I say yes, but apparently I'm a wild-eyed liberal for thinking so. Honestly, falling out of a vagina on American soil is not that much of a feat. It shouldn't be put on such a pedestal as the gold standard for US citizenship. There are so many immigrants who add value to our union.

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm pretty anti-illegal immigration, but I'd be in favor of it.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like one of the better paths to citizenship. I mean, running across the border to give birth or marrying a citizen certainly aren't more noble.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Absolutely.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Certainly. I think that would qualify as earning citizenship, and in a great manner.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Big Fat YES!

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'd say it should

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no question it should. simply skipping across the border and blopping out a kid should not entitle the child to immediate citizenship, but military duty absolutely should.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So these people are getting a 2-year work visa. What happens after the 2 years? Does this make it easier to round everyone up? It doesn't sound very thought out, then again what out of Washington is?

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that there is an opportunity to file for further delay is available. However, it does seem like a half measure. Either give them a path to citizenship or don't. I'm never a fan of dancing around an issue.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

+1

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I agree with ktpvol here. And just to rile Hat, No.