Details on Butch's new contract

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Dec 10, 2014.

1. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Buyout change:

If Jones were to leave between now and Feb. 29, 2016 the buyout has gone up to 4 million
    It's 3 million the following year, then 2 million after that.

Bonus:

winning the college football playoff $500k
    appearance in championship game $400k
    appearance in playoff $350k
    New Year's 6 bowl game: $300k
    Citrus or Outback $200k
    any other bowl 100k

Contract runs through Feb. 28, 2021

2. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

His previous buyout if he were to leave for another job was 2 million iirc.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Is the University low balling on the bonuses?

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

In other words, this is the same contract that Butch signed in 2012, only with higher base salary and different bonuses. Add back the first two years (we'll call them year -1 and year 0), reset the coach buyout to the original 4/3/2, and leave the potentially crippling 2 million per year university buyout in place.

EDIT: The yearly distribution of the 4/3/2 is a little different this time, with one less 3 and one more 2. Also, if Butch somehow still ended up leaving for Michigan then I guess that's an extra million.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It feels like I'm stuck with Lyle for a couple more years.

Why did we reward him for one year of .500?

Couldn't we have just asked him to give us a winning season before we give him a raise?

Maybe we could have waited to see if Michigan was even going to interview him before we pooped our pants in fear of him leaving?

I'm still in a state of denial on this, but I guess its official, Lyle is here to stay, for a long time.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

The #1 biggest change from the extension is that whatever year you thought was going to be make or break for Butch, you can go ahead and tack on an additional $4 million to make a change if needed. If/when it becomes apparent that things aren't working out, the contract is not structured to allow Tennessee to be proactive... unless it becomes super obvious in December 2019 and is completely opaque at all points prior.

The "let Butch restock the roster" worst-case scenario seems to have been neutered (unless he were to leave of his own volition), as either Butch will have enough success to stick around for the decade (a fine outcome) or he will languish a couple years while we presumably wait for the performance/buyout ratio to cross the Dooley line.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I loled.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Me too

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm convinced that Hart is still working for Alabama and is here to completely destroy Tennessee football

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The ultimate FU to Phil.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Love or hate the great pumpkin, this is true.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'd happily make his championship bonus $20million in exchange for $1 buyout for firing him.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Safest bet ever.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Bonus for making a bowl is too high. Bonus for winning it all is too low.

What is the university buyout now, and how is it different from before? In layman's terms?

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

2 million per contract year remaining, same as it was but with 2 more years remaining now. After 2015 it's 10 million, after 2016 8 million, and so on.

Butch's contract years run through Feb 28, and coaches are typically fired around Dec 1, so I think you could expect another 500k on those totals barring something weird. The contract itself doesn't make a provision for that, though, so just a guess.

Disclaimer: The university apparently released the updated contract "to the public" today, but I don't think it's really publicly available yet. I'm assuming that since the KNS beat writer mentioned the coach buyout and the mundane bonuses and said that the changes were less interesting than anticipated that there was no change to the university buyout.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

So basically job well done, it's year 0 again, Hooray for us!

17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Yeah. It's beyond irresponsible to have that high of a buyout on such crucial years, all built upon the back of a losing record to date.

18. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Hang on, found the extension PDF now. This is the original. No changes to university buyout, as expected/assumed.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm angry.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I mean, I think basically Hart has completely decided to that Butch Jones will be here for at least another three years at minimum almost no matter what he does. He'll probably be gone in the meantime. It's a big **** you to the next AD and the University of Tennessee in general.