Disturbed: Sound of Silence

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Didn't hate it, but I prefer the original.

2. Calculon

Calculon Member

I like it. My wife likes it more.

3. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

The lead singers voice is a bit odd like he is in a tunnel or something but I do like this version better than the original. His baritone voice seems to bring more "power" to the song.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I might regret this.....but I agree. The longer the song goes, the better it gets.

5. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I have an eclectic taste in music but of course am a big fan of 80s music...the decade of my teen years. I mean I can listen to the twang of Aaron Tippin/John Anderson and the "autotune" style of Selena Gomez and Katie Perry to the RHCP. I never cared much for Hard Rock, Rap, Hip Hop or Heavy Metal with the exceptions on a song here and there.

6. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

So I was listening to a Dio song in the car today. I had never heard of the guy until his death a few years ago. Seriously. So they played Holy Diver. Now this is a catchy tune and I like it. However, I dont understand it. Is it blasphemous? Irreligious, a-religious or what?

Anyone know what the song is about?

7. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I happen to like both original and this cover. The cover is powerful with great dynamics. Paul and Art recorded the song at a time when their style was popular, and it was a major song of that time.

8. JayVols

I think it's about a diving expedition in search of The Ark of the Covenant & Holy Grail rumored to be hidden in Atlantis....

Check out this remake of Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage:

[youtube]NR7dG_m3MsI[/youtube]

9. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I didn't realize curmudgeons listend to Disturbed

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They make my head hurt

11. JayVols

I'm full of surprises.

I'm a long time metal fan starting with Ozzy Osborne back in 7th/8th grade.

12. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Like the Dio version better...one of my biggest dislikes of metal in general is screaming and throat metal is the worst...one of the other complaints is the need to celebrate halloween 365 24/7. Like I said I make exceptions.

Dude could sing:
    [video=youtube;bkysjcs5vFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU[/video]

13. JayVols

I'm not a fan of screaming & growling. Just threw it out there for a comparison.

On a side note, I can flat kill Dio's Rainbow in the Dark playing Rock Band on my Xbox360.

14. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Let me guess Bark at the Moon. LOL dude looked like Satan himself. Yeah I know its a werewolf.

Here is one I like and its a lot of harmonic dissonance giving it that singing in a tunnel sound:

[video=youtube;uAE6Il6OTcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs[/video]

15. JayVols

Nope. Shot in The Dark is what got me into Ozzy.

Alice in Chains is ok. Like some of their stuff, others, nah.

I do really like me some German hate music by Rammstein.

16. JayVols

Rosenrot (Red Rose) by Rammstein:

[youtube]af59U2BRRAU[/youtube]

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Ha! Our pool guy is a German expat and we often talk music. He recently recommended I give Rammstein a listen, and while it's not music I necessarily enjoy I do appreciate the rather unique style. We both love new wave/electropop though. Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys & OMD keep me sane.

[Youtube]PMFKib_Byb8[/Youtube]

18. JayVols

Everyone is entitled to their own Personal Jesus for sure.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Unsure what you mean by this but you should watch a live version. Dude can sing. I love this version.

20. JayVols

We agree! FINALLY!!!

WOOT WOOT