Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, Tesla looks poised to take advantage of the ev sales expected in the years ahead.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You buying stock again?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think I missed it

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Going to be a decent ride for people that got in at the right time. I'm terrible at doing that.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don’t find anything visually appealing about Teslas. I just don’t like the way they look.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think Audi will be there right behind them, though the price on eTrons will need to come down some to become an affordable alternative.

Im also an unabashed Audi fan so I have bias here.

gcbvol likes this.
  8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Loving our Rivian, but have to say the love for BMW is still smoldering.

9. gcbvol

We have a bit in our portfolio from when it was lower, but not enough to be really meaningful. I'm terrible at this stuff, too.

zehr27 likes this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The front grill on the i4 makes me want to vomit. I miss the grills on the early aughts BMWs.

gcbvol likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm real close to cancelling my cyber truck pre order and going with the Rivian. The look is better and I think it's an overall better truck now that I have done more research. Plus I can actually get one. I get a text every month trying to get me to switch to another Tesla model, like why would I pre order a truck and then switch to a sedan. The towing capacity of the cyber truck is the only reason I am giving it a shot and waiting for it for now.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya I mean I say I missed it, but there is reason to believe EV sales are about to really take off and there is every reason to believe Tesla will be the biggest seller. I am going to be in the market myself, have looked high and low, and they still be the best option for me despite me not liking some of their quality stuff, the subscription stuff, and feeling a little iffy about Musk. But they are THAT far ahead of their market right now. You can actually get one fairly on demand, many of the others you cannot.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My next car will most likely be electric, but it is a ways away for me. Car just now turned over 100k miles

14. gcbvol

It has been great so far. A few little quirks with Alexa and waking time, but software updates have resolved.

We loved both our Teslas, but the tipping point othe than timing was the finishes. The Rivian is so much nicer on the inside. And if I'm paying that much for a vehicle I expect a bit of luxury. I guess I'm bourgie.

zehr27 likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same, but I figure once I get my roof and student loans paid off, I may make an earlier move. So maybe in a couple of years.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I can't figure whether the Rivian is meant to be a full size or mid-size truck. The salesperson on the used lot where I was looking at one insisted it was full size, but they parked it away from the other full size pick-ups for a reason if so.

17. gcbvol

Its a mid-size.

Exterior Dimensions
    Wheelbase (inches)
    Length (inches)
    Width, without mirrors (inches)
    Height (inches)
    Body Length
    Ground Clearance, Front

warhammer likes this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If you want a cyber truck you can go ahead and order it now and you might get it in a couple of years. I think mine is skated for July of 2025 and I am willing to bet that date moves.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's pretty incredible that it can tow 11K in the mid size category. Most mid sized trucks are around 7K I believe. That's a big selling point if you ask me.

gcbvol likes this.
  20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Beyond range and whatnot, my biggest concern with a Rivian, or Tesla to be fair, is the stories of them getting totaled with light damage. I read a story somewhere a while back about this but can't remember where. They cited the Rivian's rear end as being very complicated to repair and there was concern about Tesla's batteries or whatnot.

Personally, I'm looking to downgrade my truck a bit. I spent more on a truck than I needed to when I bought. I only need it for hauling stuff and occasionally towing a trailer.