Eugene & Autzen Stadium

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by awebb7, Oct 24, 2012.

1. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

With the promise of a new regime in Knoxville, I have decided that I would like to begin going to away games again, and Eugene seems like an outstanding place to start. Can anyone give any good recommendations? I only see one or two hotels on the stadium side of the river, and it looks like the majority of campus & the city lie to the south.

Has anyone been? Can anyone recommend a good place to begin looking near local bars & restaurants? I am afraid that if I sit on this to long that I will be forced to stay in Salem or Portland.

Thanks gents.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I need some help with this as well

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

There's a guy on Volnation who can probably help you. Cool dude, from what I can tell.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ha, I would rather sleep in a cardboard box

5. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

It looks like flying into Portland is cheapest, and you can take business class train from Portland to Eugene for $40/one way. Not sure if I would rent a car or take the train, but the idea of catching an early buzz on the trip from Portland and not dealing with the drive (ie snacking, looking at the scenery, drinking a few and talking football) seems fun. There is a Hilton near the Amtrack station in Eugene and a few bars/breweries in walking distance. This is my general plan, unless someone who has been feels like I am way off.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Thinking about making the trip as well. So I'm looking for these same type of answers

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

8. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

My flight assumption was incorrect. It costs about the same to fly into Eugene as Portland.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I have a fellow grad student at UNC who's from Eugene and is a big Ducks fan. I should remember to ask him. Also, try addictedtoquack.com. Folks there are awesome, and they presumably know what's up.

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I've been waiting on this game since 2010. With the coaching regime we have now, there's no way in hell I'm going. If things change, then I'm there. Been wanting to try the rail up to Oregon. I've heard it's a pretty cool ride.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

From where?

12. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Los Angeles

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Thought you were talking about from here in the Southeast. That would have been a looooong ride.

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

That is a long trip. I want to try a cross country train ride one day, but not for a game.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It's only about 2,400 miles from Nashville to Eugene. That's about 35 hours. Not too bad.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've been there. I spent the night iin eugene and regretted it. There isn't much to do outside of a bar or two and as you point out not much lodging. Also, their fans are well known as the worst in the pac-12. They let them in and out of the stadium so this allows everyone to get even more hammered at halftime in the parking lot. We beat them on a last second play and I wouldn't say we were openly welcome in eugene after the game. As usual many of the fans were nice, but a lot of oregon fans from rural oregon have a bit of an inferiority complex and are basically rednecks. My recommendation would be to fly and stay in portland (great city with a lot of great brewpubs). Rent a car. Get up early. Go to the pregame festivity they have at that indoor practice facility (impressive just to look at, let alone good food and brews and frankly the only thing really to do pregame besides tailgating which isn't easy to do as far as i could tell) and drive back to portland after the game. It's only about an hour and a half drive.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm pretty interested in going too. Like to travel and can't think of any other reason I would ever get up there. Train ride sounds interesting.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pretty country. driving up and down the oregon coast is certainly worth it and right around there. particuraly if the weather is nice. If you are a golfer bandon dunes is a destination.

19. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I may look into staying in Eugene Friday night, Portland Saturday. Depends on which of my friends I am traveling with. If I go with the married (myself) group or the single crowd will dramatically change how this trip goes.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Was just about to mention Bandon. My uncle played there a few years back and he said it's one of the top courses he's ever played...and he's played many courses.