Father catches man abusing his 11 y/o son, beating ensues

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Jul 18, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

That wouldn't change anything regarding my bet, as any post I make on this forum is subject to the bet, regardless of what name I put to it.

Please remember that you don't know me or my character at all.

2. MWR

MWR Contributor

It was meant as a joke. If you were offended by this post, I apologize.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

IP's DT's have gone from a gentle breeze to a raging tempest...eze

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Not sure I would have stopped either. Saw the kid on the news. His face was pretty bad. Good job pops.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, the father stopped, but by the looks of that guy's face, it can't be by much. You can kill a guy quicker than you think if he's knocked out and you're just raining punches on his head. I don't own a gun, so for me, whether the guy lived or died would be determined only by whether the punches I hit the guy with before I become too fatigued to punch anymore killed him or not. Which I assume is probably what happened here.

6. kidbourbon

I think there's technically a legal basis for a charge*, but no jury would ever come back with a guilty verdict, and so a prosecutor would be stupid to even think about it. And would also be a terrible person.

*Defense of others is not unlimited in scope.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  7. kidbourbon

I don't think what the father did here really qualifies as vengeance (and I'm also not sure you're even alleging so). The father here acted in a purely reactionary manner. Heat of the moment. I think of revenge as something that's pondered.

8. kidbourbon

And you make a good point about sexual molesters. I don't understand why anybody would have any desire to do that, but the fact remains that there are a crapload of people out there that do have this desire. Investigating how sexual molesters become sexual molesters and what can be done to stop it, is something that needs to be done, and that greater resources probably need to be devoted to doing.

9. kidbourbon

It does for at least a half an hour after you've spilled your emotions all over your keyboard.

10. kidbourbon

This is a really good question. If people are born with a proclivity for this sort of thing, then probably not. But if sexual offenders become sexual offenders because of nurture, not nature, then maybe so. I don't know the answer to that.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You can be 100% sure that I am not stating what the father did was vengeance. That was pure reaction.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Something about that irritates me a little

13. NorrisAlan

It shouldn't. The cop did his job, investigated if the father did anything against the law, considered his options and said "Free to go." Same with the DA. I doubt either of them spent more than 2 seconds deliberating it.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think a rather large percentage of child molesters were molested as children

15. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I think if we had a true statistic on it, people would be mortified.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Not that they investigated him. That there is probably a law that says you can't beat the ever living shit out a person sexually assaulting your child

17. NorrisAlan

Oh, there is no law that states that, I am sure. The fact that he drug him to another room and beat him till he was unconscious, would, in many situations, warrant an arrest. But the fact that he came in on what he did, mitigates those charges to zero. Thus the law actually protects him in this case.

18. kidbourbon

But what if he beats the ever living shit out of him in the living room, then goes to the kitchen for a sandwich and a glass of water, and then heads to the garage, pops open his trunk, pulls out his golf bag, internally debates whether to go with the 3 wood or the pitching, decides on the pitching wedge, grabs it, heads back to the living room via the kitchen where he goes Elin Nordegren on the guy for another fifteen or so minutes?

At some point, the legal free pass to beat the shit out of the guy expires.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It would have been really tricky if he had been a minor too

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yeah, he should leave the middle part out of the story when he's tell the police