POLITICS Federal Judge in Texas Strikes Down All of ACA

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by JayVols, Dec 14, 2018.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This isn't the article, but Johnathan Adler, the last person to challenge the ACA, gives his opinion. Youxll get the gist of what he said in the article I read last night.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018...g-delivers-new-shock-to-health-system-1066644

CardinalVol likes this.
  2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The problem with health insurance right now is health insurance, and the insurance companies like it that way.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Interesting.

I don't think this will stay.

4. JayVols

A-freakin'-men!

5. JayVols

Full disclosure:

My loathing of criminal health insurance companies (all of them) is well documented, and in my eyes at least, well justified.

The ACA is not perfect, but it eliminated many of the more shitbaggy things health insurance companies love to do to get out of paying for health services, a service in which we & the insurance companies enter into a binding legal contract for them to cover necessary medical expenses and they try to, at the very least, immorally breach hundreds of thousands of times a day to keep from paying.

A company has a right to try to make a profit (I have my own feeling on the morals of profiteering on human beings' health when not involved whatsoever in delivering actual services), but insurance companies are the proverbial fox guarding the chicken coop. Not making enough profit for the shareholders? Just deny...EVERYTHING. Most people don't know how to fight their decision, or that they even can, much to the insurance companies' delight. Also, I would bet a healthy number of those folks don't have the level of sum[itch bay] (or stubbornness) that I had/have the 3 times I fought the bastards...and won.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am hopeful that this will lead to a hard look at fresh reform.

7. JayVols

Agreed.

It will increase momentum for universal coverage.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There’s a better chance that you’ll be a member of Trump’s cabinet.

9. JayVols

Kinda like Gruden's coming to UT & how you believe in the supreme importance of the law? Riiiiight...

Medicare for all just got Ten. Times. Liklier. The idea is going to catch on fire... Toot sweet.

10. JayVols

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I went to he emergency room this year.; $6,000 +/- bill. I get an itemized list of charges that go to the insurance company. Insurance company returns an itemized list of the charges that will be paid and accepted as final by the Hospital. Hospital accepts $3,000 +/- and closes bill as paid in full.

My Mom takes an Ambulance to the emergency room this year; $7,000 +/- bill. She gets an itemized list of charges that goes to Medicare and Tricare. They pay the full $7,000 +/-; after all who gives a shit, it is only our tax dollars. They will just claim I am not paying my fair share and ask for liberal votes promising to raise my taxes. Doesn't matter that they could have negotiated $3,500 payment and had $3,500 to spend on healthcare for someone else.

Yah Gubmint.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    NYY likes this.
  12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Does Medicare not even try to negotiate pricing? That just seems crazy.

13. JayVols

But she got to the care she needed, so yeah. Yah Gubmint! Personally, my mom is worth more that $4,000 to me, but that's just me. I guess one of my great flaws is that I give a shit about people more than I do money. If that makes me a piece of shit liberal not worthy of breathing, then I'm proud to be a piece of shit liberal. I'll try my best to use up as little oxygen as humanly possible for those of you more worthy of it.

This isn't about liberal/conservative. It's about life and the quality of it. The labels bullshit needs to stop. They aren't helpful one iota.

I'm fine with keeping a private option if/when Medicare for all comes around.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's precisely what can be changed with real health reform. Hell, The Trump administration talks about giving Medicare the ability to negotiate. It can be done. But not through cynicism.

JayVols likes this.
  15. cpninja

cpninja Member

They arent allowed to, IIRC

similar to the USPS, they've been intentionally crippled by certain groups so those groups can point to them later and say "see? Government doesnt work"

Poppa T, IP and JayVols like this.
  16. JayVols

Get outta here with your facts. Our tax dollars are being used to help human beings. We can't stand for that. Think of the corporate tax cuts we could give with all that money.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

.... similarly crippled by certain groups on the opposite political spectrum who say "See, they don't care about old people. they let their mama 's die in the street. We are the only ones that care for the old, young, and weak."

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Explain. I think you just whattaboutted reflexively.

JayVols likes this.
  19. JayVols

Thank you for not labeling.

Seriously.

As to the meat of your post, show me the legislation passed that debunks the assertion you made.

20. JayVols

I'll just point this out,

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

-Matthew 6:21