Fishing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Aug 17, 2011.

1. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Oh I didn't bother too. But I got out yesterday evening. Bass were busting in the back of bays. I caught 5, all 14 inches, on a trap, spinnerbait and buzzbait. I'm going to hit up this old roadbed where they were busting tomorrow morning.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Since you are going to the coast Jay, we can talk about fishing for flounder.

Most boring fish, or... most boring fishing, ever?

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

In what regard? Catching or eating?

4. fl0at_

Stuffed baked flounder is a fantastic meal.

Sitting there waiting for the fish to eat the bait, and then the "hits" are done, set the hook and drag the thing in... boring.

5. JayVols

Yeah, kinda anti-climactic fish to fight. We basically troll/float with the tide while jigging a Carolina rigged mullett/mud minnow off the bottom that we catch by throwing a cast net . The channel we fish has filled in over the years, so we concentrate on the deeper holes we find using a depth finder. The 'hit' is very subtle and feels like a little shudder then you usually feel dead weight. Set the hook and reel at that point. The strike can be so subtle that it's easy to mistake it for being hung on oyster shells when you feel the dead weight. Not much fight particularly the smaller ones, but the big ones feel like you're dragging a limb until they see the boat/surface then they can go a bit ape on you.

I can deal with it pretty well since fishing at the beach gets me out of all the shopping crap that the wife does. Plus, it's really good to eat, so the reward is still there even if the thrill of the fight isn't.

edit: just looked up the name of the tidal creek in Cherry Grove- House Creek. Never can remember the name of it. Zoom the map in, and you will see the name.

http://southcarolina.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,1,fid,1221540,n,cherry grove inlet.cfm

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  6. fl0at_

Just read a good recipe for albie.

Pre-heat oven to 350 F, place a brick in the oven, and set the albie on the brick. After about 30 minutes, remove the brick and the albie. Throw the albie away and eat the brick.

7. JayVols

Good luck. Having a good time is all it takes.

I have a similar recipe for carp. The difference is I substitute cow shit for the brick.........

8. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I got out and caught a couple keepers on KY lake thrusday morning.

9. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Today I got to film Todd Castledine, a FLW Everstart Series pro, in their championship tournament. He had 5 keepers but his weight after 4 days was only enough for 9th. However, I learned alot from being on the water with him for a day and got paid $125 dollars for filming. The show will come on December 18th I believe and any film you see of him on day 4 is footage I shot.

10. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'm fishing in two tournaments on Lake of Egypt this weekend. Saturday is our club/team tournament then Sunday we're fishing against SIU. Andbody ever fished Egypt?

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I haven't. I've heard of people cussing it because they can't figure it out.

12. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I haven't heard of many people fishing it. My partner on the 1st day fishes it alot and thinks we will be on fish. We're gonna throw the Alabama Rig down the edge of the grass in 15 foot of water to start the day off, I don't see how we won't catch a couple keepers.

13. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Tomorrow is the 1st day of the Murray Sate Invitational. We are hosting 38 boats from different schools, UT has like 6 boats in it I believe. Really cool for them to make the long haul to KY lake for the tournament. 1st place is 1500. I'll be fishing, and I believe me and my partner have a GREAT shot. I'll post results after day 1.

14. JayVols

Inspired by the hunting thread, I thought I'd bump this one.

It's been a tough year fishing-wise. While I got a 70ish lb cobia surf fishing in Hatteras, the floundering in SC was bad this year. Real bad.

I've only made one walleye trip this summer. Between my daughters' activities, trips, and shitty weather, I've found it near impossible to get on the water. Anyone else doing any better?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I haven't had much time to go. February was good for crappies but then I got slammed at work

16. JayVols

You gonna make it up this way any time soon so we can go wally fishing?

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I'm ready to go most any time.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

19. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I've been catching a few crappie around 10pm on some crappie magnets. I've had shit for luck in the bass department this year.

20. JayVols