Florida game in an offensive series

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DC Vol, Oct 6, 2014.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

This series, starting at the top of the 4th Quarter, surmises everything that's wrong, IMO:

1st and 10 at TENN 16 Justin Worley pass complete to Josh Malone for 3 yds to the Tenn 19
    2nd and 7 at TENN 19 Marlin Lane run for 4 yds to the Tenn 23
    3rd and 3 at TENN 23 Marlin Lane run for 4 yds to the Tenn 27 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at TENN 27 Jalen Hurd run for 11 yds to the Tenn 38 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at TENN 38 Jalen Hurd run for 7 yds to the Tenn 45
    2nd and 3 at TENN 45 Justin Worley sacked by Bryan Cox for a loss of 6 yards to the Tenn 39
    3rd and 9 at TENN 39 Justin Worley pass complete to Ethan Wolf for 3 yds to the Tenn 42

You just cracked off 4 runs for 26 yards. Instead of assuring the 1st Down and keeping the attack on Florida, you drop back and pass it. While that alone isn't necessarily a bad idea, the problem in my mind is this:

Worley was sacked 6 yards behind the LOS. That's a deep drop for an OL struggling with pass protection and had given up 4 sacks to that point and a lot of QBHs.

Then on 3rd and 9, you run a shallow drag to the TE. That's when you get the TE involved?

Why the #(*&# was your TE running a 3 yard drag on a 3rd and 9?

Inquiring minds want to know. I may not be making $500k/year to be a football coach and I'm just a mouth-breathing mongoloid fan... but that looks like a tucked tail to me.

Then on the first play of the next possession is the infamous fumble that was a spectacular no-read by Worley. Great job prepping a guy that is continuously getting blitzed on... how to read the blitz. It was seriously the worse disguise of a blitz. CB is lining up 3 yards off your RT? I bet he's playing a Cover 1.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

In my mind that series was the beginning of the avalanche, and then the subsequent, sack-fumble-Harris insertion- and td was the ball game.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

They started off crappy in the 4th quarter and went down hill from there.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Said the same thing in game day chat.

That said, we had people in the chat calling for a pass.

5. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

That kicker snapped a streak of 6 consecutive misses with the game-winning FG.

I'm convinced we could have the Seattle Seahawks roster don the orange and we would still lose to Florida somehow.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Actually that play was the series before.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The screens are infuriating. I'm glad I didn't watch this shit show live. I would have had an aneurysm.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

When a team lines up in cover 2, has six guys on the LOS, I would love to have the option of a QB draw. I swear it's there a bunch.

EDIT: I'm just seeing things

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Tennessee vs Florida (Offensive plays courtesy of Freak)

[video=youtube;qlPJYuejn9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlPJYuejn9k[/video]

OL blocking for our RBs was atrocious but they gave Worley plenty of time to throw on several occasions. Worley had difficulty finding open receivers even when he had plenty of time to throw...credit FLA's secondary. FLA consistently brought more than we could block. FLA's secondary benefited from some non-calls multiple times.

Edit: @ the 7:20 mark had Worley kept that ball I believe he would have had a TD.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

LB would have gotten him.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Jeez, first series North gets held like a some[itch bay] on third down.

EDIT:

Second series (maybe third), third down, our LT just stood there like a lump and their DE blew by him for the sack. Oh lordy.

EDIT2: First half is so full of drives that were killed by penalties.

12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

You're right.

Regardless, the point still stands. Worley completely whiffed on reading that blitz.

At least he manned up to it in a presser. No cliches or gimmicks. A straight out "I didn't do my job."

He didn't blame his OL. He blamed himself.

The staff could really stand to attend the Worley Leadership Camp For Guys Who Want To Lead Good

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Painful

14. tripper

tripper Member

Our receivers are a bunch of ******* except for pig. I wish they would have taken a couple of personal fouls or unsportsmanlike penalties just to show Floridas CBs they weren't going to take that shit.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Agreed.

Sometimes taking 15 yards for slinging someone to the ground is more than worth the ass-chewing.