Florida Game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zehr27, Sep 12, 2022.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think Keyton is able to return for another year if he chooses.

I may be incorrect, but I believe anyone on the team in 2020 is allowed the "Covid" year, but now it counts toward the 85 scholarship limit. Where as before, it did not count toward the 85.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yeah but Flowers pick was a tipped pass. I just don’t see them seeing or doing anything in pass coverage except watching guys squat in a zone after a 12 yard route over and over.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

It's seems pretty blatant that the coaches do not trust anyone else at safety based on snap counts. Flowers and McCullough receive 95% of the snaps at the safety positions even when the game is in hand most times.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

We have some elite talent coming in this 2023 recruiting class in the secondary. I also think we will hit the transfer portal hard for a top tier safety.

Memtownvol, TDVol1989 and IP like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They spied Richardson a lot and kept the middle of the field busy. Almost every completed pass was outside the hashes

6. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Yes but will we get one? We swung and missed on running backs and DBs in the transfer portal this past spring and summer.

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

AR was able to extend quite a few drives with scrambles. It's a minor [itch bay] but the spy was able to contain but not stop AR from critical scrambles. Most of them were 7-8 yard runs on 3rd and 8 or 4th and 6 or something. Just a lot of straws gradually on the camels back.

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Easier to recruit top talent when you win big games. Last year we were 7-6. This year we are currently undefeated.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tony vitello was on Tony basilio's post game show and mentioned that people need to keep in mind that ar is one of the best athletes in any sport in the country, and controlling him at all was as good as one could expect.

Memtownvol likes this.
  10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Yeah, I completely concede that point. I put most of the "bad d performance" on the DBs, but even then I'm not sure if it was really on them or if the scheme choice for the game was at fault.

I think Banks thought if he controlled the run game and contained ARs scrambles, which we .... kinda did he could drop 6-7 into coverage and force mistakes. The problem is Utah AR showed up and not "rest of the season" AR. Banks will learn that this is a Florida/Tenn tradition.

We'll find out against LSU and their QB if Banks can fix this or not.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Banks will start blitzing again, LSU'S oline isn't good at all.

12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's what I'm hoping. It's weird, I feel like overall the entire staff thought they could play things close to the vest and get past Florida without showing many blitzes or screens.

I think/hope that we'll see Sampson/White as featured screens and blitzes against LSU/Bama/Georgia/Kentucky.

Says something that it felt like we played conservatively despite the box score and still pulled away with a win.

13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

We won because Hendon Hooker completely dominated.

Banks didn't scheme anything. He took nothing away from Florida. He minimized our strengths allowed a once aggressive defense to be a punching bag.

His gameplan has rarely been effective and there are zero contingencies built in to what happens on the field. The success we have on defense is overly reliant on his coaches making ad hoc adjustments within their own group.

Indy likes this.
  14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

We definitely limited their run game if not entirely taking their RBs out of the equation.

vs Utah: 27 carries for 178 yards - 6.59ypc
    vs Kentucky: 24 carries for 132 yards - 5.5ypc
    vs USF: 20 carries for 196 yards - 9.8ypc
    vs UT: 25 carries for 79 yards - 3.16ypc

And while AR ran for some critical 3rd/4th Down conversions against us, he only averaged 3.6ypc on the day which is considerable.

Slam the DBs and the pillow-soft coverage, but we did a good job for the most part limiting AR as a scrambler and shutting down their run game.

Memtownvol, VolDad and Tar Volon like this.
  15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Why the hell would he want to scramble when he's allowed to sit in the pocket and hit high percentage passes?!?!? There was no benefit in that game to limiting Richardson's ability to run when it cost us so much in pass rush/coverage. That's something that was obvious in the first half and that's what I mean when I say there are no contingencies to the game plan. The QB spy concepts should have been out the [uck fay]ing window after their first TD drive.

Indy likes this.
  16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Stopping their run game wasn't because of scheme. We stopped their run game because Garner is fantastic and is getting huge production from everyone in the interior lineman rotation.

17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He never should have stopped yesterday. Richardson couldn't pick up where we were coming from. Even worse, the times Richardson did beat the blitz it didn't really hurt us. He either got it out to a check down for minimal yards or he put the ball in contested areas.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

What was his passing percentage?

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

One of the few things good things Pruitt did was go to war on behalf of Banks. If we are being honest he probably didn’t deserve another chance with us specifically (you just can’t be filmed threatening to kill cops in a traffic stop), but I’m proud of everything he has overcome to seemingly get his life back on the rails.

It’s also nice Banks has vastly eliminated the dumb personal fouls from his game too. Can’t recall the last time he had a dumb late hit penalty

Memtownvol likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Damn evidently Tillman had a plate put in his ankle, which means a fibula break or fracture imo.
    Just save if for NFL Ced if true.

NorrisAlan and utvol0427 like this.