Fulmer "first choice" for ETSU head coach

Discussion in 'Sports' started by volfanjo, Mar 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I hope they update their resume. He doesn't interview just any school.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know if he'd do it now

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Honestly if they could get him to do it that would be a home run I think

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The offer stands - $100 to the ETSU athletic department if they pull it off.

6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

The man cannot get a job outside the state of TN.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Actually, I think that he has been passed over / ignored by so many, for so long, that he might do it. On the other hand, I don't personally believe that he will take it, and for a couple of reasons: first, he would be nothing more to them than what Bill Curry is at Georgia State - a notable name from a bygone era, and more importantly, I don't think that he wants to try the type of program-building that it would require, nor do I think that he could, even if he wanted to.

His hiring would be a splash insofar as it would hit the ESPN ticker for a day or so, but then the reality would quickly set in, and both he and the fledgling program would fade back into obscurity for 3-5 years until he hung it up for good.

It makes sense from the ETSU standpoint, but not from his, IMO. But he may hopefully take it, and several thousands of his (still) butt-hurt fans with him.

It'll be a watershed decision, in any regard, because his choices seem to be (and time is further limiting them) to either take that job, or just admit that you're out and are never coming back.

8. CardinalVol

The least time I "spoke" with him, he sounded more and more at peace with the idea of he was never coaching again.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how many retreads 5 years out of the game have ever been home run hires?

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We're talking about ETSU though. Just think it could give them a credibility boost. Does it mean they're FCS title contenders, no, I don't think so.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't think fulmers cred is very good at this point.

12. CardinalVol

At ETSU, essentially building a FCS football program from scratch, it would be huge.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Never heard of shit flowing up river

14. CardinalVol

I don't think in a million years he'd take the job, mainly because he's making more money doing what he is now and speaking engagements that ETSU could pay him.

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

As Tenny wrote, watershed moment. Crap or get off the pot.

16. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I would buy tickets and support the Bucs if this happened. I am a Vols fan first, but I also spent a lot of my life going to Bucs games.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I said it on air today and I'm going to keep saying it. ETSU trying to bring back football is an absolutely imbecilic idea.

18. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

That's never seemed to stop them in the past. Well on second thought, that monstrosity of a dome may give Johnson City a slightly higher chance of hosting an Olympics than Wartburg.