Game of Thrones Uses Bush's Head on Stick

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

[​IMG]

From the article:

I wonder what the reaction might be had they used the head of President Obama, instead?

I suspect that the Senate would have already sent out subpoenas, Jesse and Al would have already had a 55-gallon drum of marker paint and a trailer full posterboard air-lifted in, someone would have already been charged with a hate crime, and that Bill Maher would have already lit himself aflame in the lobby of HBO's HQ.

Does the fact that I believe these things would occur make me a racist? How many black friends would I need to have in order to prevent being accused of it? I'll put the over/under at 22.

Link: HBO

Link (HBO's full apology): HBO and 'Game of Thrones' producers apologize for Bush head on stick | Inside TV | EW.com

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

In this case, I think you'd have to actually be black for your viewpoint not to be construed as racist. Number of friends is negligible.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Honestly, if no one would have ever said anything nobody would have known. Which makes this a complete non-issue irregardless whose head it may have been.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It's in bad taste at the very least, but don't be sucked into this. Liberals are looked upon with scorn when they play the victim card.

I imagine this is a prime example of outrage usually lies with whoever's ox is being gored.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I totally agree.....had someone not mentioned it, no one would have ever noticed.

But that somehow makes it even worse, I think. Simply doing it as an inside gag - who gives a shit. But feeling the need to point it out- you should get ripped, if only being sophomoric enough to feel the need to brag about it.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If it was obama the left woudl throw a shitfit, but i'm not finding myself giving a shit.

7. JayVols

Which is how it should be.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait, is tgis another thread ripping dems for what they'd hypothetically do?

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don't really give a shit either - but if I had to make a call, I would side with inappropriate.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Inappropriate, sure. If they hadn't mentioned it, it would've been forgivable given the practical reasons.

But it is funny how the thread has been spun around 180

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I find it hard to believe the only damn head they could find was George W Bush's.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Regarding the first question, no and yes.

Regarding the second, the answer is either infinity +1, or you would have to be a member of Al or Jesse's posse (or entourage if you prefer). Even with the latter being true, you may not survive with your position intact if you mentioned it publicly while holding this post.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Agreed. That's a total bullshit excuse. If you get caught doing it, man up and admit that you used his head. As for if this was Obama's head, I'm sure there would be a lot of outrage; however, I think there would be a lot more outrage if Bush was the sitting President and this happened. So, I'm not sure I buy that there would be a huge difference in the reaction. The difference would be this: the Republicans would be outraged if this happened while Bush was President, and the Dems would be outraged if this happened to Obama.

14. JayVols

Bingo.