Gator Bowl Predictions

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It means we were playing pretty well at that time. Just took UGA to the wire, beat SC. That was probably the apex. The point where we started to figure out how to play football, but injuries hadn't yet gotten very significant. Started to fall apart pretty quickly after that.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I agree 100%.

3. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I am just scarred from bowl games past, and games past in general. Seen too many TN games where we were better on paper and talent on the field, but got boat raced for whatever reason. Poor preparation, poor coaching, lack of interest...take your pick.

Plus, I had not seen any indication from this coaching staff that it could win a bowl game, much less prepare for one. After the FL game, what little shred of hope I had with that staff, was gone. I don't think my fanhood and support of this football team should come into question because I thought Iowa could win. If you can point to things with this coaching staff, preparation, and game management to discredit by feelings, by all means. I don't think anyone expected to be up 21-0 in the first quarter.

Credit where credit is due, they were ready, focused, motivated, and clearly faster than Iowa.

Cameltoes likes this.
  4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I am 100% certain you thought the same of the Vandy game.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

so? It was the most recent outing and probably most representative (from an injuries perspective at least) of the team we trotted out against Iowa.

Iowa sucked for certain, but who really trusted this staff to get this team ready to hammer someone with the lack of receivers we had.

I don't think anyone really knew that Iowa's defense was really slow enough that our OLine wouldn't matter at all.

6. CardinalVol

I never imagined the outcome that happened. I was expecting a frustrating 21-17 win where I thought we should win by 3 TDs.

I just get tired of the "we sucked because we barely beat Vandy" argument. We want to take one game and extrapolate it based on the season. No doubt it was an awful performance, but people have made more if it that I think is warranted.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You really think people were only considering Vandy when they were predicting a lackluster showing? Thats absurd

8. CardinalVol

I know I was considering post Kentucky. I also think we way over-valued the Vandy game as a whole on the season, not in predicting the Iowa game.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The Vandy game was bad, but on par with UF and pre-Jesus Dobbs USC.

10. CardinalVol

That's fair.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Man we can sustain a superfluous debate like no one I know. Well outside my wife. We beat an out manned middle of the road Big 10 team as we should have. Yes the degree of ass kicking was more severe than expected. With our recent past, I'm happy for any win, Vandy included.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Amen to that!