Gator Bowl Predictions

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm calling for a 10-2 regular season. I might be in the clear from his ridicule.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If we go 10-2 next season who are the losses to?

I'd say Bama and Arky.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

That's who I'm most worried about.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, shit, if it keeps you from posting, I say that we'll go 0-11 next year, Dobbs will be picked, mid-season, for a one year internship at the International Space Station, Germany will begin the build-up to WW III and recall Jakob Johnson for military induction and one of the sororities will have patient zero for a new strand of herpes that, eventually infects the entire DL. Is that enough to keep you away longer than next January?

Otherwise, it takes a huge amount of balls, or, maybe, lack thereof, to think that you are so valuable that your lack of a presence here is some kind of punishment to the board and only come around when you are able to spout gibberish like this. Where were you after the Missouri game?

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You drinkin' on the job?

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yep

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

You forgot buttchugin. That needed to be in there somewhere.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

We are not for everyone. Take care, hope you enjoy the season.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

When a bunch of people are predicting an Iowa win in a game that is actually a Tennessee blowout, you can make the argument that it isn't realism we're talking about, but unwarranted pessimism.

10. dknash

dknash Chieftain

The most recent game prior was Vandy and I suspect most haven't seen much of Iowa this year. I stand by my hope that we wouldn't be shut out.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

We looked like utter dogshit the last two games of the season with a bunch of injuries. It wasn't that unwarranted.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i didn't make a prediction because i had no idea what to expect. i certainly didn't expect what happened. nobody around here will accuse me of unwarranted pessimism

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Nobody knew a Tennessee blowout was about to take place...even the guys in the desert. Besides, there were folks who picked Tennessee too.

14. Tar Volon

I said you could make the argument, not that I'd believe your argument. I watched the Vandy game too.

Fact is, if you're consistently predicting games to go worse than they actually do, you don't get to call that realism. If you do it every once in a while, who cares? I think this site can sometimes lean pessimistic, but the Gator Bowl predictions sure as hell aren't going to convince me of that by themselves.

That said, I kinda thought we might do something like what we did. I read some Iowa blogs before the game, and the disinterest in playing that game was overwhelming. Looks like that was a fair representation of the team

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Same for me as well. Outside of thinking it would be a close game I didn't know what to expect. I knew what our weaknesses were heading into the game though.

16. Tar Volon

The only thing that would've surprised me would've been an Iowa blowout. A Tennessee blowout was definitely in the realm of possibility, and a slopfest was too (given our last two games and their whole season). It was either going to look like the Florida game or the Kentucky game.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A lot of people picked us to beat Mizzou a couple of years back when they opened a can on the Vols.

Quite a few thought we'd beat Florida handily this year, too.

Most here, after just a few minutes of gametime, realized we were head and shoulders better than the Hawkeyes.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

To bring us full circle, why then would some folks picking Iowa elicit that type of response? That's what I'm not understanding.

19. Tar Volon

By itself, it shouldn't. If it's part of a trend of people picking against us in games where we win, then the response would make more sense. But as kpt pointed out, that trend is certainly not as univocal as Luna seemed to say.

Basically, if the Iowa game were a data point in a larger trend, Luna would be right, and the "realism" defense would be dumb. If it's one game, I can see why someone would try to make that argument, but it's flawed in that it massively overemphasizes a one game sample.

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

[​IMG]