Georgia judge orders Obama to court Thursday.......

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Jan 20, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, I said he ignored the law. I then stated the worse that would happen is that he would be removed from the Georgia ballot, then implied this would make no difference.

Your argument about my argument... is patently false and absolutely misleading. I will allow you to retract.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The law is that he's immune. So, maybe you're the one that ignored it with your statements.

3. fl0at_

Under which Title/Article is the President granted immunity from judicial order?

Further if it is State order, is that a civil suit? If the State of Georgia orders the President, via judicial order, is this still civil? If not, is there still immunity?

Because, as I see it, and maybe you know differently, State law... is not civil law. If a State orders XYZ to show up to court, and it is violated, it is not a civil issue. Thus, is this a civil issue?

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

First, I'm wrong about his civil immunity about actions not related to his presidency. He is immune from civil suits based on his actions as President. Nixon v. Fitzgerald. I had the Clinton-Jones case backward. This would not be a civil suit against the President if I'm understanding it correctly. So, the more I think about it, civil immunity may not apply. I imagine this case is with the Election Commission of Georgia. However, I still think, under the cloak of civil immunity as President or through his Constitutional Powers that he's not bound by state subpoenas, especially in cases where he isn't a party.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. fl0at_

I agree that nothing will come of this, because, how could it? There have been numerous Presidential thumb-nose at the courts. Lincoln and AJ come to mind.

I'm just trying to know, for the sake of knowing, whether or not he is actually immune, here, or if he is just ignoring it and telling the Court to eat a ****. Ya know?

Seems bizarre.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm almost sure that he's clear by executive immunity. I know for a fact that, generally, the President can not be ordered by regular court proceedings especially in those where he's not a party.

7. govols74n

govols74n New Member

I'm getting smarter just from reading this shit, wow....screw school, come visit the 8th once in a while!

8. fl0at_

Seems that in all/most? cases, the Judge actually throws the attempt to order the President out. In this case, the Judge allows the order to proceed. Has that happened before, and not been overruled at a higher level, as is the case here?

Just... feels unprecedented. And trying to dig is proving worthless, since everything that comes up is some backwoods' opinion on this case, not really a historical prospective.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

This seems somewhat new. It probably is normally squashed, but even if it's not, the President still has the power to assert executive immunity, which I'm sure is exactly what he did.

10. fl0at_

I'll keep watching it and see if anything else ever comes out. Even if he does have executive immunity that grants him free from any repercussions from ignoring the order, his name can be withheld from Georgia's ballot. Which, I think, would be pretty interesting, and a scary thought, at the same time.

Would laugh if Georgia withholds, and the Democratic party organizes a write in campaign, and Obama wins Georgia because nobody from the Red side goes out and votes because they think it is locked up already. Would. Laugh.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I imagine this could be removed to Federal Court and quickly shot up the chain to get SCOTUS to conclude Obama is a "natural born citizen."