Ghosts of Ole Miss

Discussion in 'Sports' started by gorockytop101, Oct 30, 2012.

1. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

This 30 for 30 special is getting overshadowed by NBA opening night, but if you guys get a chance to watch this I highly recommend it. Crazy stuff.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a terrible part of American history

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Yes it was Justin, I lived through it. The show is excellent. At the time people were sharply divided, but I am proud to say my parents supported Meredith's admittance. There were genuine fears that the violence would escalate over the South.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

My uncle was part of the first integrated class in Jonesborough. My grandmother -- not exactly a liberal -- walked him right into the school and never looked back. "Everyone needs to go to school," she always told me. Grandmothers can be wise and say so little.

5. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

It was a great piece.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ole miss 30 for 30

Guy who made it had to put his stupid ass in every frame with his stupid hat looking all pensive. What a douchebag. It's not a story about you ahole. i also love how he had to throw out that his parents were involved in the civil rights movement, yet accused one of his relatives of being some racist screaming at the integration rally despite his mom saying it wasn't his relative. Other than that I guess it was good.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Is this worth the dvr space? These shows have no middle ground for me; they tend to either great or worthless. See, e.g., Pony Excess and Marion Jones, respectively.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The Marion Jones one was straight awful. How can anyone feel sorry for her? The 30 for 30 about Bartman was all time though.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Merged because I thought it belonged in 'Sports.'

I'm getting some screwy results--thread is supposed to have a permanent redirect from voluminous--so any mod who sees a problem, please feel free to fix.

10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Bartman one was awesome. Thought june 17th, without bias, pony excess, and unguarded (chris herren) were all really good. The best that never was as well. Bunch of em are on netflix so been trying to watch em all minus the really dumb looking ones.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I missed it tonight, watching Sons of Anarchy, instead. 30 for 30 has some really great ones, though. The best ones, off the top of my head were The Two Escobars, Once Brothers and Unguarded. The Marion Jones one was dogshit, too, glad someone mentioned that one. Jones is a worthless, piece of garbage human being who has lied and deceived throughout her career while selling people out in the process. Pissed me off that the guy who did Boyz n tha Hood signed up for that one.

The one on Ben Wilson hit home because of my affinity for midwest high school hoops from my childhood, plus it's such a sad story all the way around. Inner city Chicago basketball is a whole different world.

The U one was really good, but pissed me off that they skipped the '86 Sugar Bowl and presented Butch Davis as some kind of second rate coach that brought the program down because he didn't buy into the 80s team's persona. I mean, it's not like he constructed, arguably, the most talented college team ever or anything.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Tim Richmond: To the Limit was great.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This one was interesting. I can't say i learned a hell of a lot and I'm not exactly an expert on 1960s miss. the kansas one was rather weird. Dude basically makes up this documentary so he can have an excuse to try to extort cash from rich alumns and he was flat out nuts.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Excellent and fairly accurate. I knew Tim from his early days on Ohio bullrings and then Indy Cars.

15. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Agreed. But it was strangely comforting given our current situation.