Going Bowling

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by ptclaus98, Nov 20, 2021.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Obviously we're going bowling, if we take care of business, we're 7-5. Bowl Projections aren't worth shit with a fanbase like ours, so my best guesses are the Music City Bowl vs Penn State, or the Gator against NC State. Outside shot of Iowa State in the Liberty, but Miss St is more likely there, unless they beat Ole Miss this week.

I want Penn State and I want James Franklin to be on that sideline.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I think a team from the West ends up in Nashville, either Arky or MSU. Gator or Dukes is still the likely destination for UT in my opinion.

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I just don't see the Duke's Bowl getting Tennessee. Nashville will have a hard-on for us, and the Gator Bowl seems to like us, so unless Dukes brings something to the table the other two don't then I don't think we'll end up there.

If Bama beats UGA in the SECCG:

Playoffs
    Bama
    UGA

Sugar
    Ole Miss

Orange
    Texas A&M

Citrus
    Kentucky/Arkansas

Outback
    Arkansas/Kentucky

Texas
    Miss St

Gator
    Tennessee/Auburn

Music City Bowl
    Tennessee/Auburn

Dukes
    SCar

Birmingham
    Mizz

4. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

If we play in a Mayonnaise Bowl, I can’t watch the sicko freaks slurping buckets of mayonnaise

A-Smith and IP like this.
  5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

If UGA beats Alabama, slot everyone down and Mizz goes to the Gaspirilla Bowl

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Just realized I didn't include the Liberty Bowl. So no need for the Gasparilla Bowl anyway. I think Carolina is a lock for the Mayo Bowl and Auburn and Tennessee will be in either the MCB or Gator. Kinda hope we get the Gator, I'd like another trip down to Clearwater even in winter.

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I want Gator. If it's like prior years, it'll be the only primetime game that evening.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It's a morning kick this year

9. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

UGA-playoffs
    Alabama-Sugar
    Ole Miss-NY6
    Citrus-A&M
    Outback-Kentucky
    Dukes-Tennessee/South Carolina
    Gator-Tennessee/South Carolina
    Liberty-Arkansas/Ms State
    Music City-Arkansas/Ms State
    Texas-Auburn
    Birmingham- Missouri
    Gasparilla-Florida if eligible

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd like Nashville for personal travel reasons

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Texas will get Arkansas before Auburn, and Miss St will end up in the Liberty Bowl. Dukes will take South Carolina in that scenario. Music City will likely go with Auburn.

Miss St would not travel well to Nashville, IMO. Texas Bowl will be a bigger get for Arkansas than the Liberty or MCB, and Auburn is not going to sell there. South Carolina is a good choice for either the Gator or Mayo Bowl, but I think Tennessee having the head to head and better record will give them the edge in the Gator Bowl's eyes. Miss St just screams Liberty Bowl because I don't see them having such a strong alumni base in Texas or Middle Tennessee, but maybe the MCB would take them. Auburn does have a strong alumni base, but they will be a disappointing draw for any bowl. If there were more viable options, I could see them dropping to the Birmingham Bowl. I still don't know how they beat Ole Miss or Arkansas.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Well the bowls don’t “take” anyone. The conference decides who goes to the tier two bowl games. They obviously work in consultation with the bowls and schools, but the conference has the ultimate say.

13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

But the conference doesn't choose by chalk, they also take into account who's more likely to bring fans to a certain venue, at least past the Outback Bowl.

This was on full display in 2019 with us and Miss St(?)

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If we get a warm weather bowl I might fly down just to thaw (at that point…it’s actually still relatively warm here for now….)

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Cfp UGA
    Sugar Bama
    At large Ole Miss
    Citrus A&M
    Outback UK
    Texas Arky
    Gator Tennessee
    Belk SC
    Music City State
    Liberty Mizzou/Auburn
    Whatever else I'm forgetting, the other team

Our fan base and some hype will help us. Auburn will be a dud because of how they are closing out their season.

Savage Orange likes this.
  16. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Auburn is trending down and we’re definitely trending up so I would imagine UT would be more attractive to the Gator than Auburn. Just my $.02

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Don't give a shit about the bowl or opponent, I just don't want one of those games that randomly starts at 2:00 on a Tuesday when 95% of the country is working.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Music City and Mayo are both Thursday matinees this year. Gator Bowl is Friday (NYE) at 11:30. All three are exclusive time slots, but I imagine fewer people will be working Friday.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This scheduling is so damn stupid.

Joseph Brant, cpninja and IP like this.
  20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I feel like things are weirdly compressed because NYD is a Saturday. Usually we can load up on Saturday games, and NYE games, and NYD games. Now it’s just NYE and NYD and the rest of the games are just shoehorned in there. The Texas Bowl is the Tuesday after New Years for some reason.