Gold Nuggetz on the Interwebz

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Mar 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Post blogs/sites that others may not be privy to.

Me first. Crackbillionair's Blog

This guy writes about tennis and ecstasy pills. Sort of a random combination, yes. Not sure how I found the site, but dude is a good writer.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Moore to the Point

Russell Moore is my favorite theologian. His website is a mix of theology, social commentary, politics, ethics, and country music. Absolutely brilliant writer.

For just one gem, here Moore takes a look at ethics and the guilty conscience of the post-confederate south as it relates to honoring southern leaders like Robert E Lee.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

That was an excellent read. New subscriber.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The Cross and the Jukebox FTW

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Cross and the Jukebox is great. Dr Moore knows good country. Gotta love an academic and theologian of his caliber talking Haggard and Jamey Johnson.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I liked this part:

The problem with a simple view of history is that it leads to a totemic use of historical figures. Some have romanticized, for instance, the American Founders in a way that doesn’t allow an honest conversation about the real problems there. Fourth of July sermons that treat Jefferson and Franklin and Adams as exemplars of evangelical Christianity aren’t really defending the gospel, nor are they honoring those founders. They are simply not treating persons as persons, turning them into slogan-supporting icons instead. The same thing is true with the cult of the Confederacy that has emerged in the last century, except often in much more malevolent forms. The Confederate dead have become a kind of cultural short-hand for white supremacy and racial resentment. It is a long drop indeed from Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson to George Wallace and David Duke.

The fetishistic use of historical figures is precisely what leads to the kind of “absolute good vs. absolute evil” characterizations we often see among Christians in the way they view current leaders.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I also love that he sounds like Freest Gump when he says Jesus. It cracks me up.

8. kidbourbon

Posted this elsewhere. About Game and how retarded feminism is. Dude has mad chops.

Chateau Heartiste

9. kidbourbon

Legal talk. From a group of more conservative/libertarian-leaning law professors. This is actually a fairly high-traffic blog, so calling it a gold nugget might be a bit of a stretch, but we'll run with it.

The Volokh Conspiracy

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He walks the fine line between genius and madness. I don't know what to make of him fully, but am intrigued.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Saw this guy speak recently. A must for people interested in political economy.

Marginal Revolution

12. kidbourbon

I'm trying to think of a way to distill the subject matter of his blog down to a single articulable sentence. But doing that might take some time and thought, so I'll just ramble a little instead. I think the stuff in his blog can be broken down into two categories: (a) Game (or, what *really* makes a females 'gina tingle), and (b) exploring the societal effects caused by mainstream acceptance of farcical feminist principles.

I wanted to make that a single sentence because the two categories are interrelated, but it would have been a tough sentence. Oh well.

Anyway, I don't think that anything he writes is out and out false. I think the stuff that focuses more on feminism and the ways it has made the world a worse place is a bit sensationalized. He overstates his points at times or takes a few too many liberties in extrapolating out possible parade-of-horribles scenarios.

But the stuff he writes about females and their internal hamster is completely on point and eye-opening. That guy wasn't surprised when Rihanna got back with Chris Brown. Well, of course she got back with Chris Brown. Females have been attracted to dominant alpha males for 100,000 years. Why would liberal journalists expect that to change now? And that's just one of hundreds of examples of other "yeah, that guy is right" points.

The post he wrote yesterday about his experience on the nude beach was an outlier post in that it was simply meant to be a funny story and nothing more. And I laughed out loud. Guy is an excellent excellent writer: The Tell-Tale Slap « Chateau Heartiste

What do you think is the genius of the blog, and what do you think is the madness?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, he has clearly stripped away the mask of female desire in terms of casual and short-term seeking women. It is laid bare, and is frighteningly similar to men in it's simplicity despite having different focuses. That's the genius.

His hyperbole on sociological issues is the madness, but it is quite fine because he is not really WRONG, just over the top and overstating things.

As he defines and uses the term, feminism is clearly fictitious. However, other definitions of the word are completely separate of some of his rants and actually support some of his assertions. Women aren't THAT different from men, as he seems to indirectly get at.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

And it is interesting that I read a lot of kidbourbon in his writings and ideas. You two clearly are on the same page. I can't argue with it. I am pretty sure I would qualify as a beta male, but have been aware of it and attempting to compensate for some time.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If its any consolation you seem like a Master Beta to me, IP.

IP likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well played.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The reason men don't call women back is 100% fact.

18. kidbourbon

The alpha/beta dichotomy is probably the most prominent theme in the blog. The reality of the matter is that unless you're Jim Brown, you're some combination of alpha and beta. It's a sliding scale, in other words. This even makes sense from the context in which the term arose. If it were 50,000 years and I was in a tribe, and I was the badass of that tribe, then I was the alpha male. But then if a neighboring tribe showed and the alpha male from that tribe beats the shit out of me, well then I'm no longer the alpha male. And the author knows it's a sliding scale, but he uses the term in a binary way for ease of use and helpfulness to the reader. Alpha characteristics vs. beta characteristics. I'll never be Jim Brown, but if I can replace, say, approval-seeking tendencies with irrational confidence and a mindset of outcome-apathy then I've slid the dial the on my sliding scale closer to the alpha end, and, in so doing, I've done myself a favor.

Another major concept of the blog can also be illustrated with the above-hypoethical about the two tribes. So I was the badass alpha in my tribe and I was banging the hottest girl in the tribe as a result. But then when the neighboring tribe rolled up and the leader beat the shit out of me, my girl immediately grabbed her shit, walked out of my tent, joined up with the dude that just kicked my ass and never once thought about me again...not even for a second. And it doesn't matter that the guy that just kicked my ass already has a girl. She'd rather share him than be stuck with my beta ass. This is hypergamy. She wants that guys sperm, not mine. Don't call her a ho -- it's for the good of the entire species.

The social construct of marriage tempers a lot of these carnal realities and so we don't often have occassion to consider what females are actually like -- and when I say "we", I am also referring to females, who are so clueless about their own subconscious motivations that it's actually kinda funny. (You wanna know what a guy is thinking...ask a guy. You wanna know what a female is thinking...ask a guy.) -- when stripped down to their inner cavewoman. It's in that sense that I think the blog is enlightening.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Seriously good stuff, HH.

Thanks.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod