GOP Reps Forego Pay During Shutdown? Awkward..

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Sep 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

[youtube]9h3wq[/youtube]

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Republican or not, why shouldn't members of Congress forego their salaries if the government shuts down?

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

they should be first to forego their pay. i have no problem going a week or two without pay, however others I work with can't afford to do the same

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

What's good for thee...

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Wolf. Wolf!

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

There's as much chance of that happening as there is in them using obamacare.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

They absolutely should forego salary as a shutdown is indicative of job failure on their part. As Snake mentions they should be the very first in line.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My dad is awaiting if he is going to get paid or not if they do in fact shut down and they are usually towards the bottom of the list when it comes to being essential. He will most likely get back pay of course and in his words "many people out there would kill for this to the worst thing to happen to them."

But me watching and seeing shit like this pisses me off. He's a much better man than I am.

9. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I'm right there too NYY. In two hours my brother may not be able to pay rent this month.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Elected Representatives don't care. Which is bullshit.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Sorry to hear. Dad will most likely get back pay. It would have to be something crazy for him not to.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why is shutdown a failure?

13. gcbvol

The US federal government should never be in a budgetary position where shutdown is required. They are all a part of the systemic problem that brought us to this point. I think you're a successful businessman, BPV; would the performance of Congress the past few years be considered anywhere close to success in the private sector? I just don't see it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

No representation, no remuneration.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

My businessman has nothing to do with it. Brinksmanship starts at the head shed. The unwillingness of the press to acknowledge that is much of the reason we end up with it. Acting like ACA is off limits is the crap we're dealing with. Why should any spending program, of any stripe, be off the table? A guy says that to me in this situation and we walk out.

And your last question intrigues me. The vote buying has so permeated federal politics that it just isn't a reasonable comparison any longer. The deficit will attest and of course they've sucked. So has the presidency for decades.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Time for a shutdown party.......I'm going to start drinking at 9am tomorrow and enjoy my time off

17. JayVols

Elections matter, no?

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No.

19. gcbvol

The president is absolutely part of the problem; never said he wasn't. Doesn't change the fact they are all failing miserably at their 'jobs'. The ever building partisan bullshit has led to where we are now. They are all guilty, miserable failures - president included.

20. JayVols

Ok then.