Halo 5 Doesn't Have Split Screen Campaign?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's fair. I had never heard of that before.

It's also a pretty standard continuation of
    Bassman.

2. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I don't know that it's fair to say it doesn't feel like Halo. The first book is centered upon how he, as a child became a Spartan, grew up with all his fellow Spartans, and firmed a close-knit family unit with this squad. The story is confusing though, because all of his squad supposedly died before Halo: CE, 2, 3, and 4 occurred, and, boom, they reappear for H5.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've never read the books, just played the games. The games have always propped MC up as a super warrior that does things no one else can do. To have him now start working in a team just doesn't make sense and doesn't match up with what I've come to expect after playing through all the previous games multiple times. That's all I'm saying.

So the members of his squad in 5 are the same as his original squad from the book? That's really strange.

4. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

During the latest campaign, they even make reference to how the squad has logged more combat missions than any other squad, by far. If it's not the same group, I don't know how that could be true. There are probably explanations out there showing it's not the same team; I just haven't cared that much to look.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

For a middle aged man with neurological delays, I can flat shed a Rock Band guitar.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And it just makes it all the more bizarre that they're here now after being absent from the first four.

Regardless, my only complaint is that they take away from the idea of MC as this unbeatable character that works alone (unless you count Cortana) to defend humanity. That's how the other games always made it seem.

7. TheSofaKing

TheSofaKing New Member

Best $700 I ever spent.

8. TheSofaKing

TheSofaKing New Member

Who is Bass?

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

300 for bundle is as low as it will get imo. There are already rumors of a newer console being planned.

10. TheSofaKing

TheSofaKing New Member

Exactly. Only chance it goes lower is if they release an Xbox one slim that had limited ports and has no disc drive to cut down on parts/size/cost. But won't be more than $50 cheaper because people also pay for portability and smaller footprint.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'm 100% certain they're planning on making another console, just not in the near future.

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

It'll be 4 years before retail.

13. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

It's because Sony kicked their ass this round after the previous xbox ceo ran his mouth about the DRM online only bs and the gamers sent a resounding FU to Microsoft. It was THE reason I went with Sony.

14. TheSofaKing

TheSofaKing New Member

Yet it turns out the online only stuff (which isn't even online only) is what is needed to fulfill some of the wants/needs of console gamers. People were just being short sighted thinking it would destroy everything they know.. however its absolutely necessary in the future to advance in cloud/syncing and making everything seamless and easy as possible. Microsoft shouldn't have backed down and should've weathered the storm.

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

The new console rumors have nothing to do with sales. Console lifespan is roughly 6 years. The reason last gen lasted so long was the 2008 recession.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Back on topic...

I'm still shitty this game doesn't have split screen campaign.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That said, we have been switching off every mission, and the game has been decent so far. Story is kind of cool, to be honest, though I still wish there was more MC. Won't be surprised if he trades this in after we beat it. He won't want to play online unless we can split screen it.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Finished the campaign last night. A few thoughts (keep in mind, I haven't played a second of the online multiplayer):

SPOILERS BELOW

1. I'm still pissed about the lack of split screen campaign.

2. Isn't Halo supposed to be about Master Chief? Almost the entire game was focused around this boring ass Spartan Locke character. I think the MC gets 3 missions out of the 15 total.

3. Isn't Halo also supposed to be about... Halos? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure the halos play no part in this series anymore, which is just ****ing stupid.

4. How do you make such a [dadgum] big deal out of the death of Cortana in 4 just to turn around and revive her and make her a main character again in 5? Any emotional attachment bonuses that 4 may have received in my mind from killing off a very likable character were immediately lost when I realized she was back. What a ****ing waste.

5. This game is nothing like what I expected. The commercials leading up to it made it seem like a knock down drag out fight between Locke and MC was going to take place, with one killing the other or whatever. The game is literally just Locke trying to catch up with MC the entire time.

6. The campaign was too short and ended at a stupid point. We didn't even try to play the game non stop, yet we beat it on heroic in no time. And now, I get another 3 years to forget the cliffhanger plot before I consider whether I want to waste money on the newest addition to the series.

7. The whole squad setup (Blue Team and Osiris Whatever) was stupid. MC is by himself for 4 games and now his squad is back from no where and everyone is talking about all the missions they've completed together? Stupid. And even worse, the in game aspect is stupid as well. I don't think the squad actually does anything unless you tell them to, which makes them worthless 75% of the time. Then for the 25% of the time you do remember to give orders, they usually just run halfway across the map and die, making it impossible for them to revive you when you die. I don't know how many times I needed a revive and didn't receive one because my squad members all went off on some trek miles away from my position and couldn't (or just wouldn't) make it back in time. About the only thing I found them useful for was holding ammo (you can tell them to pick up guns) and driving vehicles I thought I might want to use later on.

8. Weapon selection was solid. You always have multiple choices for what kind of combat you want to pursue, and I rarely found myself "stuck" with a stock weapon for an extended period of play.

9. There was no mission that really stood out for its uniqueness. No cool driving missions or anything like that. Just the same stuff over and over again... not that the basic halo gameplay is bad. It's just nice to have a changeup from time to time.

10. I'm interested to see where they go from here with the main characters. You've now had four games about MC, and one about Spartan Locke with MC as more of a side character. At the end, however, Spartan Locke and MC are back on the same side, and the Arbiter is back in the mix with the war against the covenant over. The way I see it, they're either going to get this right or **** it up big time. I'd like to see some missions with all three working together, as well as some missions where they go off solo. But then they have to do something with Blue Team and Osiris as well. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh, one more thing:

The gameplay vs. cutscenes almost seemed backwards at times. There were cutscenes, such as the opening fight scene before the first mission and the assassination of the elites holding Halsey at the end of the first mission, that had me sitting there wondering "why the hell am I watching this instead of playing it?" Similarly, there were parts of missions that should have been cutscenes. I had objectives like "find and speak to Halsey" and "activate the terminal" where you literally walk across a map with no enemies and hit the X button when you get to the objective. It made no sense.

20. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

It still baffles me that people shell $60 for a game with the main focal point being the campaign these days.

I faintly understand the interest in the campaign, but you buy it on release for the matchmaking and extended playability.