Home-And-Home With Virginia

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by gorockytop101, Feb 13, 2012.

1. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Starting next year in Charlottesville.

Per Softball

2. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Does this help our standing with Oak Hill? Or am I looking way too far into that?

EDIT: Just realized Knoxville is actually closer to Oak Hill Academy than Charlottesville, so so much for that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Good series. I would now like to see UT add a home and home with a Big 10 or Big 12 school starting at TBA next year. That would be a good start to yet another quality nonconference slate.

4. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Big 10 home game will likely be added. I know they had talked to Michigan State, but I don't know where they are with that now.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'd like to get a home and home with either Michigan State or Indiana.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I like this. Good, well-coached, up and coming program. I second the other posters in this thread saying I'd be in favor of Michigan State or Indiana as well.

7. hatvol96

The only thing that would substantially help UT's standing with Steve Smith and Oak Hill is a change of shoe and apparel company.

8. CardinalVol

And I can promise you I would make the 5 hour drive if we played at Assembly Hall.

9. CardinalVol

And I can promise you I would make the 5 hour drive if we played at Assembly Hall.

10. hatvol96

With the move to 18 SEC games on the horizon, you're going to have 13 nonconference games a year. Two or three of those are going to be taken by a neutral floor tournament. That leaves 10 or 11 games. For the forseeable future, the Big East-SEC series will eat one space. UT needs at least seven nonconference home games for financial reasons. That's the dynamic they'll have to schedule to fit going forward.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Excited about this and yet torn. I've rooted against Tennessee exactly once in my life, in any sport. When [penis] Bennett's UW team came to TBA in 2000, I was in the student section decked in red. On another note, next year will be a bit easier to catch uva. They lose scott and zeglinski (sp?) and are extremely thin due to a few transfers. Shouldnt be as good next season.

12. hatvol96

If Coach Martin put me in charge of scheduling for next year, here's what I would do with the 10 nontournament games. This is based on known existing obligations.

Home:
    Oakland
    Memphis
    Buy Game
    Buy Game
    Buy Game
    Belmont
    Indiana/Michigan State/Michigan/Ohio State

Road:
    Big East-SEC
    Kansas State
    UNLV(If UT plays in one of the Vegas tournaments, this would switch to New Mexico.)

13. hatvol96

They've got a really good class coming in and a couple of the guys playing supporting roles this year are going to be really good. UVA will be alright next year.

14. hallowed_hill

You're probably right. I think Brogdon has a chance to be a really nice player and you'll see Harris doing more offensively next year. Tony is definitely showing some recruiting prowess. It was his dad's weakest point by far. It's interesting that he did not even have to recruit the two best players he ever coached. Tony for obvious reasons and he was the only one that showed any interest in Terry Porter out of high school. He retired before his best recruit got to campus--Devin Harris.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Are you from Wisconsin?

16. hallowed_hill

Yep, originally from eau claire. But lived in TN most of my life. My dad was an assistant to bennett at uwsp way back in the day.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I applied for a job in Stevens Point once. Glad I didn't get it honestly.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Memphis ended up being a our Big East opponent right after they fall off of our schedule?

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I hope we play IU ... that'd be my first opportunity to really go to a UT bball game, if they played at IU, that is.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Ah, nice, Tony Bennett, the best shooter I ever saw with that sweet lefty stroke, always good to see a fellow Cheesehead do well. Not surprised he is such a good coach considering his pedigree. I'd like to see the Vols play in Bloomington as well, if we are looking to add a strong non-conference game.