Home Solar Systems - Experience and/or Opinions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by gcbvol, Oct 30, 2015.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Every couple of years we discuss installing solar as our geographic location and exposure are conducive to high benefit. Until this year we were uncomfortable with ROI period, but cost has steadily decreased and we're now looking at somewhere between 8-9 years with federal credit. And that takes into consideration the poor solar policy in Florida. We've requested several quotes and are only exploring now, but curious if anyone here has experience with a home or business installation. If so I'd appreciate opinions.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Technology is really dropping the price. If you can tie into the grid and get a buy back from your electric company, I'd bite the bullet if you plan on staying there long term

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is essential. my only concern would be that the electric company down the road will stop buying people's excess which seems likely eventually.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We have a couple of customers with solar panels. The salesman usually tells them they can sell their "extra" power to the grid. We install meters that monitors the flow in and out of the house. Power rarely flows out of the house. I think Florida is trying to pass legislation that the power company has to buy excess power the customers produce.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't count on your excess getting bought too much longer. It isn't viable for the electric companies long term without storage

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah here the whole concept is to over build your capacity and sell back enough during the day to pay for night usage. without that buyback it becomes a lot less economically viable.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How does it work if you are working on a line that may have juice coming from alternative sources, like a solar home?

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, gents. The whole buy back piece is the biggest detractor. Our electric comes from a co op which is exempt (per my understanding) from any legislation like kmf mentioned. It is not something we're even considering as an option. Our average electric is $300/month and we now have an EV which we estimate will add an additional $25/month. We'd also likely purchase a powerwall to cover evening use.

ETA: Looking at 10 year HELOC rates we'd be break even or better on monthly expense, and not sure if the interest would be deductible. Big picture I think the next owners would likely benefit more than we will. I think we'll be here 15 years max, so at most 5 years of full benefit.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

During hurricanes it can be very dangerous. We are extremely careful because a transformer normally turns 7600 vots to 120 volts, but it will also turn 120 into 7600. These systems are required to have automatic change over switches, at least that's what I understand. Meaning, if the power from us goes out, a switch automatically opens so it won't backfeed the system.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

BTW, I am not anywhere close to an expert on this, so please ask your contractor to verify

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Don't know if it's got your area covered, GC, but Google's Project Sunroof looks to be a great tool, if it does. And even if it doesn't (at least yet), the project website has a lot of good, and general, information on solar systems being installed in homes.

[youtube]BXf_h8tEes[/youtube]

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's a requirement of being tied into the system.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

For you guys that look at solar, are powerhouse shingles even on the radar? I assume they are overpriced unless you really want the low profile.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Still way too far out on price to be really practical.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That's my read but I'm not looking to buy so I haven't compared prices. Since you're buying a roof and the solar all in one, the price tag is hefty I'm sure.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus you're losing efficiency on both. You can get higher quality roofs and a more efficient solar system and still be cheaper than doing it all in one.

The only way to justify it is if space is at a premium and I still don't know if it justifies the cost

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was expecting a discussion on home planetary systems orbiting a small star. I am disappointed.