Homework

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 17, 2014.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

[penis] gets a bad rap.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Both.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure I did 2-4 hours of homework every night in high school (2 was very rare, definitely had nights with more than 4 but that probably included studying). I stayed very busy with it in middle school as well but I'm not sure I can remember just how much.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I lamented the day when the college I work at dropped the "Technical" from its name and became a feeder college to UT. I thought then and still think that it was short sighted and pretentious.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I rarely remember doing more than 2 hours.

6. TennTradition

I think I was extremely methodical. I know classmates did less, including those that did well.

But being used to working through my evenings served me well in college, grad school, and now employment. Though with the daughter now I see it dropping off.

7. NorrisAlan

And look where that got you!

8. TennTradition

Overweight? :)

9. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

It hasn't really been tested that much. The new assessment that is coming with it is known as PARCC. It may work, it may not, but I'm nervous about trying something that hasn't had a trial run anywhere.

10. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

This, this, this, friggin this.

College isn't for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a shame the people that run our education system don't get this. The world needs ditch diggers. (I mean nothing bad by that)

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The vast, vast majority of the time I'd have been able to complete my homework during class had the teacher let me. They weren't so happy about me not paying attention. Math was particularly bad. I don't need to watch you work through fifteen problems on the overhead projector. One was enough. I gots it from here.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Have to agree. I can't tell you how many guys I watched blow money on college failing intro classes and retaking them over and over before dropping out after 5 or 6 semesters of basically wasted tuition. I always wanted to say, "If you can't handle the 101 stuff how the hell are you going to get past the 400+ level stuff necessary for your degree?"

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Whats 2+2?

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Let me fix that for you.

15. NorrisAlan

Byproduct of the "he who has the most toys wins" system we have in this country. A lot of people look down on the ditchdigger, thinking he is a bum, an alcoholic and a drain on the tax system because he is probably in and out of jail. Hyperbole on my part, but you get the drift.

If you are not a white collar worker and making 100k a year, you are a failure. And that is completely wrong. Because I have a BS doesn't make me smarter or better than someone else. One of the smartest men I know didn't finish school and can make anything out of duct tape and bailing wire. Some of the dumbest people I work with have letters after their name.

I hope we as a society can learn to moderate and live the middle way.

16. NorrisAlan

Base 10? Trick question you sneaky sneak.

Yes, I was a Mathematics major in college. My own mother called me a dweeb because I was reading a book on Non-Euclidean Hyperbolic Geometry. For fun.

17. CardinalVol

I will grant there are definitely reasons to be concerned about PARCC. I do think the computer testing is a bit ridiculous.

18. CardinalVol

I know a guy back home that is dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to "book smarts" that's making over 100K a year as a welder. Considering he's not 30 yet and did 2 years technical school, I'd say he's doing all right for himself. He welds and farms, and is happy as a lark.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Best thing about my major is I was done with math (just for math's sake) after freshman year. Still had physics and other applications though.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The Facebook people I'm referring to hate it because its an "indoctrination" program devised by Obama, despite the fact that he and his administration has absolutely nothing to do with it.