Hope You're Happy Wall St.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Aug 9, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

While I'm not a fan of everything Occupy to put it lightly, many that are struggling now due to no fault of their own. It's that way in all economic downturns, but trading practices bear a healthy portion of blame (along with individuals' financial decisions) for the shit-storm. I'll get flamed, but there's going to be anger when corporations are reporting healthy to record profits while so many are struggling. I can understand that anger. May not totally agree with it, but I can see why some may feel that way.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Healthy corporate profits are distributed to the corporation owners (shareholders); the majority would be considered middleclass who have invested via their pension funds, 401K’s, mutual funds, etc.

I would thing of healthy corporate profits as a good thing

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Healthy corporate profits are distributed to the corporation owners (shareholders); the majority would be considered middleclass who have invested via their pension funds, 401K’s, mutual funds, etc.

I would thing of healthy corporate profits as a good thing

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too for the most part, but I can still see where people are ****ed that someone is making a lot of money while they just lost their job.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Dems have done a good job of painting corporations as entities (rather than a group of people) and demonizing them.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's like getting ****ed at your dog because the garbage man shit in your garage.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's like getting ****ed at your dog because the garbage man shit in your garage.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Are you not supposed to do that?

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can understand the point of getting annoyed when an exec runs a company into the ground, it's stock price goes next to zero, and he gets the 8 figure golden parachute, but for the most part, the entire Occupy movement is based on greed, laziness, and/or ignorance of economic principles.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I didn't say I agree with it

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Laziness more than anything

13. JayVols

They are a good thing. The unemployed worker might like to see the use more of the profits reinvested to create jobs. I don't think profits are bad.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Inflation and uncertainty in the market from government policies is killing investments.

When we get our heads out of our ass, and stop passing around the shit sandwich. You're going to see a boom with the record amounts of capital sitting on the sideline waiting to be invested.

15. JayVols

Isn't it a bit shady/unethical that companies are withholding available capital when so many are hurting over politics? I don't expect them to be a charity, but that disturbs me.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am not so sure that they are holding it over politics so much as the economic uncertainties created by the current political leaders.

17. JayVols

I understand, but isn't that pretty much the same as trying to influence politics?

I just think that the sooner folks are put to work, there's exponentially more profit to be made because more will have disposable income. It's naive perhaps, but I just feel that we as individuals have a responsibility to be good citizens, and companies have a responsibility to be good corporate citizens.

Again, I am not anti-profit or anti-business. I want as much success for companies and individuals as possible. I feel those go hand in hand. I appreciate the discussion and the tone of it. I am well aware that my views are not in the majority here in relation to economics. Nevertheless, my views while not agreed with all the time are respected. I appreciate that, and I endeavor to return that respect to opposing views.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

When I went for my first real sales job I was asked, “Why do you want to be in Sales?”. I said something to the effect of, “Because I want to help people and enjoy solving problems”. The Sales VP said, “Good; go join the F-ing Peace Corps, Sales is for people who want to make money”.

Corporations were not created to be good corporate citizens. They were created to maximizing shareholder value. Employees who do not help accomplish that mission find themselves unemployed regardless of position.

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

But at what cost, sir? At what cost?

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

This is absolutely the bottom line. Corporations exist to be profitable, which benefits shareholders. The company that employs me basically works to help companies become more profitable. I am not always happy with what sometimes entails becoming more profitable, but that is the end goal and is ultimately a good thing. My hope is that more jobs are produced in this country - that can be a real challenge in terms of profitability (or level of profit).