Hurd article

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jul 13, 2018.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Best of luck to him.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The thing I hate to think about when I read articles like this is, these are kids. 18, 19, 20 year old kids. This poor kid was screwed over by the asshole butch Jones. I hope it burns every time Jones pees.

RockyHill and IP like this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Good luck to him. I would have advised a different departure, but thata just me.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The departure wasn't good, but 20 year old me wouldn't have been very graceful either

5. Ssmiff

Me either, but dad would have helped me handle it.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Is this accurate?

In the state of Tennessee, among the Big Orange faithful, Hurd's fall from grace went like this. He was benched by coach Butch Jones during the Georgia game after celebrating a touchdown; a week later, when he was held out of the Texas A&M game (under concussion protocol and with a season-long ankle injury that was never disclosed), he became a "quitter" and a "locker room cancer."

That might have been the message leaking from the staff, but it isn't at all the way I felt about the situation.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was a sentiment present in the fan base, but I don't think the majority of fans felt that way.

Some threads were to that effect at the old place, but there are always "hot takes" like that there.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

That was the rallying call by many at TOOS. Everything was gonna be okay after he was gone.

9. Ssmiff

I believe that label may have stemmed from the idea that he refused to play in the SC game, along with Dobbs on the sideline trying to get him going on camera.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That's because they are stupid and selfish fans, not giving two shits about the kid. He's useful on the field when you cheer for him and that's your expectation for him always, otherwise he's a bum, loser, malcontent, etc.

It's why, when a kid transfers or complains about treatment by a clearly shitty coach, the kid always gets trashed by the fans.

Joseph Brant, IP and justingroves like this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I definitely think the popular opinion was that Hurd was a serious lockerroom problem. Vol fans are programed to graciously accept any explanation of failure that doesn't involve their coach being incompetent, witless dickhead.

And obviously Hurd as a troublemaker was the message Butch wanted after the split. Even had Hyams put that old story about Hurd's mom out.

RockyHill likes this.
  12. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Hyams loves writing hit pieces. Did the same thing to Jauan Jennings and TKjr.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was said, by some, that the team voted to leave Hurd in Knoxville for the TAMU game.

I don't believe that to be accurate, but I do think people close to the team were told that by people close to Butch

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Wow...haven't been on the 8th in a loooong time. Hope everyone is doing well. Tony Basilio spoke highly of Hurd on his show today. Jalen was one of Butch's many scapegoats. I can't imagine Saban putting up with that loser very long.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's no way any team votes to leave a guy like that. It'd be a total betrayal by the team.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Welcome back.

Saban will keep Jones around because he is someone that Saban is actually taller than.

615 Vol likes this.
  17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

LOL...good point. He's probably the team Uber driver.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He washes their cars

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

His did too.

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep.

Hurd bought Jones some slack by leaving how he did. The sheep didn't want to believe what was evident.

RevBubbaFlavel likes this.