I am falling off the Charlie Strong wagon

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 24, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Funny stuff

2. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

This would be a destination job for Strong, because I don't think that Florida would ever hire him as a HC, especially the way they did him after Meyer left. We would have stability for a while with Strong.

3. SanguineVol

SanguineVol New Member

Anyone else concerned that Strong is a former defensive coordinator, but his Louisville teams have won with offense? Seems like something of a red flag.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I was never on it.

5. kidbourbon

No thanks on either.

6. kidbourbon

At what?

7. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Quit making sense, this is about emotions and W/L's regardless of the competition.

I am not a fan of Charlie Strong for a couple of reasons. SV just quoted one of them. He was beatable when he was a DC in the SEC. His D's are not that great now. The second reason is that he is winning primarily with his predecessor's upper classmen. Everybody wants to say he came in to a shit show (kind of like UT) and turned it around. He did, primarily with somebody else's players. I am starting to see signs that his players that are beginning to work into his system now are just mediocre against mediocre competition. I am concerned that the talent level and development of his players is not happening at a level we would want. These concerns are why I would take Patterson over Strong every day of the week.

Should Strong get hired, I could only support it if they kept Chaney, Graham, Pittman and Hinshaw. The continuity of a really good offense would free Strong up to focus totally on D and special teams. I won't get into the Franklin debate. Not enough info to analyze that one.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The bolded is false. He won last year with a team full of freshmen. That's actually when he started to really impress me. He's winning this year with a team full of sophomores.

9. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

I disagree Tar. He won with freshmen last season - that is true. But other than QB and a couple of others - they were not the major contributors. They are this season along with another freshman or two. They have won 5 of their games by 7 or less points against mostly teams that are not good. They barely beat USM - which hasn't won a game all season as I recall. Cincy was an OK win - but they actually won it in OT because Cincy blew it in regulation (watched the game). They have lost to two mediocre .500 type teams in a row late in the season.

Don't know how that kind of performance will translate in his ability to get the top players and run a top tier program in the SEC. Don't see what we need there yet. but I respect your opinion and those that believe he can. If he was HC of a program in the Big 12 or ACC and getting those results I would probably feel some better about it.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I certainly understand the reasons for doubt, which you've laid out quite nicely. But I will vehemently argue against the "he's winning with Kragthorpe's players" position. Kragthorpe left the cupboard pretty darn bare, and then his crap guys that Strong was using in 2010 all graduated in 2011. Strong had to replace EIGHT starters lost to graduation on offense alone last year. It's not like he had a whole bunch of sophomores and juniors in 2010 that have just led him all this way. He's significantly improved the talent level, to the point where those losses you point out are actually concerning. They wouldn't have have been for 2009 Louisville.

11. kidbourbon

The bigger red flag for me is that Strong isn't playing to his strengths on offense. Teddy Bridgewater is amazing. He's just really really good. But Strong insists on playing this LSU style offense and tries to pound the ball with the run. All this does -- because Louisville doesn't have the personnel to run the ball effectively -- is give Teddy Bridgewater a lot of opportunities to show how good he is at converting 3rd and 9's. Louisville should have been throwing 15 times more per game this year.

12. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Good points kid and tar.

Tar, I aree with some of your points about the roster being bad prior to him adding his last two classes. Yet. the upper classmen that survived the purge were the ones that set the tone for the young guys, getting them into position, with techniques, etc. Now they are nearly gone and the team seems to have leveled off to trending down. Maybe they will turn it around and another good off season of S&C will get them ready for next season.

All of those close games and recent losses to BE and lesser competition may speak to what kid is talking about. An offensive scheme and play calling issue. I tend to agree, which is why I originally posted that I could live with his hire if our entire offensive staff was retained.

Good stuff guys.

13. Montrell

Montrell New Member

I agree with that. Franklin's resume to this point is far more impressive than Strong's and he's doing it in the SEC. And IMO he has been beating teams with more talented rosters. Also, I think Franklin has a much better S&C coach in place than Strong. I've seen guys at Louisville who looked far more explosive as true freshman or sophomores look a lot slower as juniors and seniors (of course I dont want McKeefery kept under any circumstances). Strong might be okay ( I like his SEC experience for sure) but his defensive coordinator would have to go and he'd have to improve his staff as a whole. Louisville's defenses have gotten worse each year Strong has been there while their level of talent has seemingly increased each year.

14. Montrell

Montrell New Member

They have still beaten teams with more talented rosters than what Vanderbilt currently has. He's winning with what is still a 2-star roster from a talent standpoint. Ole Miss, Missouri, Tennessee, Auburn...all still have better talent than Vandy yet Vandy has beaten them.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what teams has he beaten with more talented rosters? have you seen franklin's victories over the past 2 years. Boise state has better competition.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ole Miss has better talent? Missouri might, but were without their starting qb. Tenn and Auburn had terrible coaching and have lost to everyone. I don't think talent had much to do with it.

17. Montrell

Montrell New Member

Yes Vandy has a "better" team than all those teams he has beaten, but he doesn't have more talented rosters than all of those teams he's beaten. That is what makes what he's done so impressive. Missouri, Auburn, UT, Ole Miss all have more talented rosters. Vandy right now quite honestly still has a 3-4 win roster from a talent standpoint but somehow has 8 wins.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  18. Montrell

Montrell New Member

Yes Ole Miss currently has better talent on their roster than Vandy. Maybe not in the freshman class but overall they do. Tennessee and Auburn have far more overall talent than Vandy currently has.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I like Strong and I hope he (or Patterson) is the choice if Tennessee doesn't get Gruden.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd say it's a coin flip and it's not as though he dominated ole miss. Tenn and Auburn have lost to a lot of teams with inferior talent. At least strong has beaten SOME decent teams.