I am falling off the Charlie Strong wagon

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 24, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Not sure if you caught this but I believe David Pollack said what makes Strong so successful is he has the rare gift to be real friends to his players while at the same time chewing their rear-ends out when he needs to. Good traits to have, imo.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

He reminds me of Tomlin..... Not talking about his skin color either

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Suuuuure.

4. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Yea, Charlie Strong is hot garbage. The ones on here saying they're off his bandwagon must be related to the same group of idiots that wanted to fire Saban after losing to TAMU

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Losing to TAMU is totally the same as losing to two teams with losing records at the time

6. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

He took a dumpster fire and made them contenders in arguably the 5th best conference in two years. What's not to like? He lost a couple games? Who gives a shiat?

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

5th best conference?

8. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

It was better than the ACC this year.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

No, but we did all hav dirty sex with your mother.

I've watched Louisville play this year more than anybody else on this board. This much I'm sure of. I've said before and I'll say again that I don't think Strong has a done a good job of playing to the strengths of this particular team. He tries to pull off like an LSU-style power running offense, and all it does is give Teddy Bridgewater more and more opportunities to prove how good he is at converting 3rd and 9's. Luckily for Strong, Teddy Bridgewater is obscenely good at the game of football.

Louisville should have been throwing the football 15 times more per game than they did. Had Strong played to his strengths on offense, Louisville doesn't get beat by an atrocious UConn team. Doesn't get [penis]-slapped all over the field by Syracuse. And doesn't beat FIU, Southern Miss, and USF by 7, 10, and 2 points, respectively.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I've already told you what's not to like.*

If I had to power rank Louisville right now, I would say they are probably about the 40th best team in the FBS. And that's actually being quite generous.

And if you took that team and replaced Teddy Bridgewater with an average FBS QB, what you are left with is an absolutely atrocious atrocious football team. They'd be about as good as Kentucky.

Pedestalize Strong all you want, but he's nothing special.

*To reiterate, your mother is not in that category.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I know you watch a lot of Louisville, but did you watch the UConn game? From the stats, it looks like they did throw a lot and it wasn't very effective, and then Bridgewater got injured, and then he came back, and it was only modestly effective. But I only watched the end.

Regardless, they did just nab a road win over the next best team in the conference with Bridgewater sitting half the game with injury. And a team of mostly freshmen and sophomores. So they go from awful under Kragthorpe to nabbing a share of the conference title in years two and three under Strong, with a team made mostly of underclassmen and the final game won with their star QB hurt.

There are certainly causes for concern, which you mention, but the body of work looks pretty strong to me.

12. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Name 39 better teams