I learned something today at age 58......

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Who knew the theme song to the Andy Griffith Show had words?

[video=youtube;6PVUit1-0Ck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVUit1-0Ck[/video]

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Just lots of whistling

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Thanks, it's ruined now.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Actually, the words were added later, for a special Andy Griffith Show album, intended to highlight the work of Earl Hagen, who composed countless songs for the show, including its famous whistling intro.

6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

The song even has a name, The Fishin' Hole... I've know that for years, but I'm an AGS fanatic. Favorite show ever and I never get tired of watching. I don't care how many times I see the episodes (and I know quite a few verbatim) they always make me laugh!

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have a thread for this...

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I love it myself. At least the ones with Barney and a non-grouchy Andy.

10. Savage Orange

Yeah, once Wayne came on board Inwas pretty much out. I did like the Aunt Bee solos an airplane episode though, although her flying a Cessna 182 was a bit unrealistic... As an aside Peggy was by far Ange's hottest girlfriend.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Indy still campaigning for mod status.....

On topic, I imagine the instant this thread was posted, bells, whistles, sirens, Bat Signals and such started blaring in and around Tenny's immediate area. Instead of the saying for being drawn to something being "like a moth to a flame", it should be "like Tenny to a message board post about AGS or JFK."

I'm amazed by the depth of your knowledge on both subjects, TD.

12. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

lol'd

and agree

13. Tenacious D

It's part of my Aspberger's - I get fixated on certain things, and AGS / JFK are two of the biggest.

For anyone who likes TAGS and wants to learn more about the show, and much more, I'd highly recommend this book:

[​IMG]

**WARNING: For those who are just fans of the show, and neither need nor desire to know anything about Andy Griffith and Don Knotts - DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I can't impress that upon you strongly enough. Don't even read reviews of it. It's all true, perfectly sourced, and damning to both. For me, who will love the characters and show no matter what, and again, who loves the intricate minutiae of if all, I was like Jimmy Cheek with untrimmed nails and a multi-day sinus infection. Throughly enjoyed it.

Don had his struggles, for sure, but seeing the "real" Andy is likely far too much, for most.

Man, I love this show.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Andy, by all indication, was a huge ****.

15. Tenacious D

As much as I love the show - I've never seen more than a handful of color episodes, and have only watched those because they featured Knotts reprising his role as Barney. So, while I've seen every black and white episodes (1960-'65) dozens of times (maybe a few as many as 75-100 times), there are entire seasons of the color episodes that I've never seen, and have no desire to ever do so.

The show should have ended in '65, and it was going to, had the show's sponsor (General Mills) not ponied up huge money for Andy to stay from 1966-'68. I think he was making $1M, not to mention that he also shared 1/3 ownership rights to the show. In contrast, Knotts began his first season on a 5-year contract, making $1,250 per episode ($35k/yr). Knotts did get raises along the way, even substantial ones, but he never threatened to make even 1/4 of what Andy made, again, just on his character salary, alone.

16. Tenacious D

You are 1,000% correct - but this book fills in a lot of blanks as to the depth he could sink, for his own single-minded pleasure / aims, and even in knowing the injuries it caused to those whom he cared about. Even Knotts.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I like Earnest T Bass.

18. Savage Orange

Aunt Bee hated him. (Andy, not Ernest T...)

19. Tenacious D

He directed several episodes of TAGS.

In one such episode, while attempting to adjust Bavier's (Aunt Bee) spot in the scene, he innocently remarked, "Frances, I'll put you over here." Bavier exploded, telling him that she was an actress on Broadway since before he was out of school (or born, can't recall which), and that she, "Was not a couch! I won't be 'put' anywhere!"

That aside, he was a Grade A ****, too. At Mayberry days, he'd refuse to sign autographs or pose for pictures without first being paid (a friend who went and witnesssed it said his fee was $20 for an autograph and $10 for a picture). And i'm talking anywhere, even as he walked down the street, and not just as part of an event.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

When I was a wee lad, we didn't have cable, and none of the four channels we pulled in (counting PBS, but only once despite there being two) off the antenna carried TAGS for whatever reason. My first exposure to the town of Mayberry came when a fifth, non-network affiliated channel sprung up when I was around 11, but this exposure was to Mayberry RFD. I had actually seen most of the episodes for RFD (possibly all of them) by the time I saw TAGS which was 3 or 4 years later as I recall.