If Butch is a Raging Success...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by UTgrad11, Jul 13, 2013.

1. UTgrad11

UTgrad11 New Member

then what is the opinion of Dave Hart? I was under the impression that the main point of contention as it relates to him on this board blossomed out of the raw feelings of disappointment in the immediate aftermath of the coaching search. It seems that, even as faith in Butch has grown (tentatively) on this board, hatred for Hart is still as visceral as it was in late December. Is distrust of Hart related to his alma mater? What are you guys' opinion?

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Ole Dave Fart

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Not sure how much credit I can muster for a guy who ended up hiring his fourth or fifth choice.

4. WM

WM Active Member

**** all the noise, I just want to root for a winner.. Don't care if he's a raging homosexual. I want some wins. Seriously he can co host workouts in pink nuthuggers with Richard Simmons. I need some wins in my life...

5. UTgrad11

UTgrad11 New Member

I would be a raging Butch with Butch if he won us an SEC title or better

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This.

Plus the following:

When a moron who failed to invest in his retirement hits the lottery, it neither makes that a sound retirement strategy nor the person any less of a moron - their blind luck is not worthy of accolade. And if Hart hits on Butch, that's all it was - blind ass luck.

When your personal ego is of such fragility as to preclude you from hiring far and away the best available coach, the results of whomever you hire instead becomes immaterial, really, as its obvious that you're not fit for the office.

When you hear someone in the UTAD bragging that they no longer have to thank the academic side after they've robbed your pockets and neutered your influence and autonomy, you've got someone who clearly misunderstands not only the current situation, but the necessary course of correction. Or worse, who may realize it, but has neither the foresight nor fortitude to bring those corrections to bear.

It is good news that he has made it known for some time that he is not long for the job, despite the fact that his departure doesn't seem imminent. All in good time.

I wouldn't put him at Hamilton's level, but he has a host of his own deficiencies which may ultimately lead his name and legacy to that depth.

There is not a human being on this earth - maybe with the exception of Governor Haslam - who is more concerned with the potential fallout from the scandal at Pilot, and their recent admission of operating at a $4B debt load (that's billion, with a "B") than Dave Hart. If the Haslams are not his sole source of his security, they are certainly the great majority of it. Of the dozen or so candidates who are now jockeying to fill the large void of influence that the Haslams have began to unexpectedly vacate, I don't see Hart surviving any who may successfully assume it.

He's simply bad for UT, IMO. On these counts and many, many more.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Are the knives out for Hart?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Blind squirrel acorn

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

"You can't win the lottery if you don't play." - Dave Hart

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This is one of the many reasons why I love this place. You my boy, TD.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Butch Jones could have been hired at anytime. And I mean anytime. Hart let Dooley hang around and totally wastethe 2013 season, then proceeded to go on a nationwide embarrassment tour during which he allowed UT to be publicly rejected multiple times. He then hired Butch Jones a day after meeting him in a hotel room. Butch wasn't masterfully selected out of a host of candidates. He was the last option and a desperation move after a completely bungled search had already exposed our leadership as total failures.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He hired Butch away from Cincy and Colorado's bidding war

13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Nicely said

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Testify.

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

While I agree with Tenny and KP I also think that if Butch and company turn this around and start winning again, that most people won't give two shits as to how it happened.

Honestly, Butch Jones, his staff and Hart are in line to look like geniuses after the shit show that preceded them. This can happen without actually winning anything of significance. That's how deprived the fan base is.

I just want UT to be relevant again, I don't care if Jaleel White is our coach, just win.

16. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

While I pretty much agree with this, for the sake of argument I'll say it's a results-driven business. If Butch is amazing, Hart gets credit for pulling the trigger. Hell, the story probably becomes, "I knew the fans wouldn't be crazy about it at first, but I just saw something special in him."

That being said, Butch overshadows Hart bigtime if he's that successful, so I don't think we have to worry about him becoming some prestigious AD in our history.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The best ADs in the country are the ones no casual fans know. If Butch wins big here, all anyone remembers are his flat top and his offense, not who hired him.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Again, though. All of that is true... if he had been Hart's #1. It is hard to make a case that "you just saw something nobody else saw," when you have to go to #4 on the list.

If you had truly seen something, and just "knew," you rank them number 1.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't really care who was his alma mater. He bungled the coaching search from the second the 2011 coaching games ended and I will never forget that or give him credit if jones turns out to be a raging success. He's merged the departments and has been the bad guy. That's done, now thanks and gtfo.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The OD is starting soon. Better get to work if you want wins in your life.