(Illegal) Paying Student Athletes

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Tenacious D, Feb 7, 2013.

1. NukemVol

NukemVol Member

I don't know how it works. But paying kids under the table seems appropriate. These kids are making these programs shit tons of money. And since you can't pay a football star without paying a softball player, then maybe under the table is the way it should be.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not opposed to athletes getting a few dollars of spending money, but they are getting a scholarship already and the difference between the average income of high school grad and a college grad is, roughly, equivalent to the amount of money they make for the program. A free scholarship, if one takes advantage of its perks, is a very good deal.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

They already are getting allowances and housing supplements (if one chooses not to live on campus). Whether that is enough of a stipend is another story.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I like that Tenny specified the unlawful nature of paying student athletes in the thread title, albeit parenthetically.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

They may be getting a great opportunity, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the kids are still poor. Even with the risk involved, I imagine it's hard for a poor kid and his family to say no to money.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fifty bucks more a week would be fair imo

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree, but to think that these same kids are going to turn down golden handshakes because they get an extra couple of thousand a year from the university is rather silly (not saying you are making that argument).