I'm a Brain Scientist and I Let My Son Play Football

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Sep 20, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Whiplash effect is a big cause of concussions, regardless of sport.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And have done horrible things to their bodies to get to the NFL.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Do you have a link to any studies/articles? My wife and I have been discussing this a lot the last week or so since our son has started showing an interest is playing soccer and, to a lesser degree, football.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What's the explanation there? I'm sure most would expect football to have more concussions.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have to think gymnastics is worse than any sport out there for injuries and concussions. I know my sister had to get both her ankles operated on when she was 15 because of it and she was hardly an Olympic athlete.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just google it. Several articles out there.

There is inherent risk in doing anything where you go out an run aroudn chasing after a ball. Worst concussion I have seen to date happened in a 10u baseball game.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I believe this one is off the table.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't know enough to say much but it does seem like the study that gave that 99% stat is weighted towards that outcome

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Anytime you see "99% of blah!" you should be extremely skeptical.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

just speculation, but soccer is 90 min of continuous action with falls, slides, kicks, and headers. The causes are nonroutine but inevitable events, like kicks or knees to the head. I've seen some high school soccer concussions and they were all accidental kicks and knees when contesting possession or near the goal

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah it was a bit of a hit piece and click bait

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Pete Carroll is doing a lot to save football with his hawk tackling.

USA football's head up tackling was horrible and dangerous.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

When you're not looking for it, you're unlikely to find it.

I've sent three kids to docs this year for anything resembling a possible head injury / concussion. Coaches and parents in tackle football are - or should be - much more aware of and educated about head injuries, because it is such a huge point of emphasis. Not saying it isn't considered in soccer, but from my limited experience, it isn't nearly as laser-focused as it is in football.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Yep. The Seahawks coaches actually demonstrate the method in the Heads Up Program videos.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm not the biggest fan of USA Football but at least they're adapting to Carroll's method, instead of acting like you're going to kill kids with it now.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Methicillin resistance in Staph is my thing. If I was looking for the occurrence of it, I'd probably find a lot more if I selected only dogs with prior history.